It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:19

Cyclone

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Cyclone

Postby Rod » 23 Sep 2017, 15:47

I’m about to start on a long outstanding TUIT - namely a dust cyclone. I bought the cyclone from Steve (UKW) and the bin from eBay.
Cyclone Central seems to be no more?
The bin is a blue plastic liquid? storage type with a black strap clamp lid.
I know I have to construct a pressure relief valve but do you think the plastic lid is strong enough to support the cyclone or will it need reinforcement?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Cyclone

Postby Andyp » 23 Sep 2017, 16:46

Rod,
Is it a plastic cyclone from cyclone central? What size? I mounted my 100mm cyclone on a board and clamped that to the bin. Will you be able to take the lid off with the cycline attached in order to empty the bin? This would be a problem with the larger cyclone. The smaller one would be more manageable.

As you are talking about a relief valve I assume you are using a Camvac type shop vac, HPLV. In which case I found that it was necessary to place the valve above the cyclone. If you mount it on the lid there is chance that when triggered dust could get sucked up into the extractor.

If you would like pictures let me know and I'll update my thread of a few years back.

Edit. I've edited all the images on this thread. Hope it helps
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 23 Sep 2017, 17:09

Andy

It’s a small one with approx 60mm holes bought from Steve Maskery - it’s not a Cyclone Central one and I should be able to remove the lid with it attached.
I use a Record DX5000 and a small McAllister from B&Q.
I think to be safe I’ve already decided to reinforce the lid with some ply. Need to identify my BS circle cutting jig - note to self, mark them up in future!!
I’ve got some small magnets but I suppose their “power” is important so might order one from the recommended supplier.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Sep 2017, 17:41

I have two cyclones in the 'shop now, a little'n and a big Onedia hooked up the the Camvac.

IMG_0563.jpg
(170.71 KiB)

IMG_0562.jpg
(183.1 KiB)

The suckage on the smaller one is provided by an NVD750 and it will extract your Wisdom teeth if you get close enough :D

Both are fitted with a PRV which in my experience is essential, especially if the bins are plastic. Without one fitted, a blockage will instantly cause the drum to collapse with undesirable results :o :shock: :o ...this happened a couple of times on the Onedia.

It doesn't matter if rubbish gets drawn into the dx machine as fine dust gets drawn in as a matter of course. I clean the big cloth filter on the Camvac once a week, especially if I'm been doing some stuff on the drum sander. The crucial thing to do when installing a cyclone is to ensure that everything below it completely air tight; the PRV's are made from a tin lid, an 8mm rare earth magnet and a 4mm bolt with a couple of nuts - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Sep 2017, 23:11

I sorted out my Steve Maskery jig and cut out a piece of ply to strengthen the plastic lid. The jig worked really well. The ply was a touch too small but it should function ok.

Jig with back-stop in place:

In action:

With lid:

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Sep 2017, 09:42

Next the pressure relief valve to make then I can put it to the test

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Sep 2017, 10:09

Rod,
Very pleased to see you able to get back into the workshop once more.
Best of luck
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 26 Sep 2017, 10:37

9fingers wrote:Rod,
Very pleased to see you able to get back into the workshop once more.
Best of luck
Bob

:text-+1:

You can adjust the "power" of the magnet by adjusting the distance from the metal cap.

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Cyclone

Postby Rod » 26 Sep 2017, 10:40

Thanks Bob - now I have to clear out the shed with stuff I temporarily stored in there, with trips to the tip - then I can get to my wood!
Especially as the Council are going to close some HWRC’s!!

My wood store is behind all that!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 26 Sep 2017, 14:51

The cyclone looking very good Rod :eusa-clap:

I like the thinking behind the pressure release valve, I’m sure it will work a treat, I must have had my Dust Deputy cyclone getting on for 10 years now & it’s definitely one of the best pieces of equipment I’ve bought.

Best of luck with the sorting out of the shed I don’t envy you that task.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Sep 2017, 17:51

Andyp wrote:
You can adjust the "power" of the magnet by adjusting the distance from the metal cap.

Yep, that's the way I did mine aka Peter Parffit's video, but if you use a small 8mm magnet it makes it über sensitive to the slightest pressure variation.

Also glad to see you getting back into the 'shop Rod. If there are any 8' planks of English walnut there that you can't find a home for :lol: ....

I found that a pile long hand plane shavings from the floor also tended to block up the big Onedia (I use a floor 'gulper' to clean up at the end of each day) but it's fine with p/t chippings and small stuff. - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking