It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:02

Cyclone, 9 months after repair

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Cyclone, 9 months after repair

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2017, 15:34

Back in Feb of this year I noticed my cyclone was not capturing as much as it should. This was the inside of the Camvac.

The fault was traced to the wooden lid having bowed and letting in a lot of air. I bodged a repair by doubling the number of fasteners that held it down and 9 months and this full bin later. That is a 200l barrel.

IMG_20170928_143136711.jpg
(238.91 KiB)

This is the inside of the Camvac today
IMG_20170928_143950818.jpg
(137.98 KiB)

Sorry I did not take an image of the cloth filter. Rest assured that there was no visible dust clinging to the cloth filter as per 7 months ago.

As well as the visible shavings I use it a lot for catching the dust while sanding on the lathe. I am a happy bunny. Every workshop should have one. Shame Chems does not seem to be making them any more.

So lessoned learnt. Make sure that no air can get into the the system below the level of the cyclone or it will not work properly.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Cyclone, 9 months after repair

Postby MattS » 28 Sep 2017, 19:43

Can't wait to get started putting mine together. I've got a small one coming from China and have a £10 vac off eBay waiting to be used in the garage. Planning on using an old home brew bucket as the collector as it will be for use on power tools so shouldn't fill up too quick!

The performance is amazing, never understood fluid dynamics when I had to do it as part of my degree!!! :lol:

As an aside it did provide one very funny moment. Much as with a cyclone, that needs a pressure release valve, one day our tutor was doing a demonstration. He was a softly spoken Scottish man, really nice guy. The experiment, I can't remember completely but it had an number of tubes, with coloured fluid and involved a vacuum cleaner. He asked for a helper, up stepped Canadian Phil. Again can't remember the exact chain of events but he didn't do as he was told and ended up blocking one of the tubes resulting in all the liquid being sucked at speed into the vacuum cleaner. The lecturer dead pan in his quiet soft voice just said what am I going to tell my wife :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Sep 2017, 13:14

On my twin motor Camvac I have some very fine dust on the cloth filter, especially if I've been using the Jet 16-32 drum sander to finish veneers to size. Although cyclones capture all the big shavings and chippings, the very fine stuff will still get through to the Camvac. I clean my cloth filter once a week on a Sunday morning (after I've sorted out the orchids in the house and the fish pond filter) for max suckage.
The two exit ports on top of the Camvac also have hoses attached which are directed under the suspended 'shop floor. This has two benefits, the first being that the racket from the screechy brush motors is vastly reduced and the second is that any super fine particles that escape the filters are exhausted outside and not into the 'shop - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 29 Sep 2017, 15:40

impressive .
I really need to get a proppa just processing system.

I have a couple of large oil drums .. although I was planning to make some steel pans out of them (steel band type)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking