It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:28

Driveway gates

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Driveway gates

Postby Rammyboy » 05 Dec 2017, 10:20

Greetings all, I want to make a pair of close boarded driveway gates approx 4 mts wide by 2 mts high.
I would like a wicket? or Judas door in one leaf. I am a little uncertain about the construction details. I am thinking 4x2 Stiles and 6x2 for the middle and bottom rails with 4x2 for the bracing. I have had a look around for the door detail without any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Rammyboy
Seedling

Name:

Re: Driveway gates

Postby Coley » 05 Dec 2017, 10:53

Are you gonna be painting this or staining it ? I've just made a wide front door using tricoya for the board effect. It'd just one big panel with v grooves routed in it. Something that wide you'll have to allow decent gaps for expansion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Dec 2017, 11:40

Interesting question!

The position of the judas door and how its framing interacts with the diagonal bracing is obviously quite critical.

I will watch with interest and apologies for not being able to point to a solution.

Bob

PS Welcome to TWH2
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rammyboy » 05 Dec 2017, 16:45

Coley wrote:Are you gonna be painting this or staining it ? I've just made a wide front door using tricoya for the board effect. It'd just one big panel with v grooves routed in it. Something that wide you'll have to allow decent gaps for expansion.

Hi, Coley, my plan was to stain the t&g boarding. I have v grooved MDF panels for interior panels before but prefer real wood for exterior projects. Thanks for your input though.
Rammyboy
Seedling

Name:

Postby Coley » 05 Dec 2017, 16:47

No problem. Just remember those tongues, grooves and expansion gaps.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rammyboy » 05 Dec 2017, 16:59

9fingers wrote:Interesting question!

The position of the judas door and how its framing interacts with the diagonal bracing is obviously quite critical.

I will watch with interest and apologies for not being able to point to a solution.

Bob

PS Welcome to TWH2

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome mate. Yea, that's the bit I'm stumped on, my initial thoughts are to hang the Judas door within its own frame next to the hanging stile keeping the bottom rail 6" up to clear the bottom rail of the main gate. This would leave 6" of the tounge and grove boarding unsupported at the bottom. Hope that makes sense!
Rammyboy
Seedling

Name:

Postby greeno » 05 Dec 2017, 18:19

I've been drawing up plans for our driveway gates too.

Ours are a little different as it is going to be three doors. Similar width to yours.

One section will open independently, the other two will bi-fold.

Your gates aren't so tall so you could do likewise.

Poking about the manufacturers websites most driveway gates have 70 x 100mm rails and stiles or a little less.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2017, 18:52

Can’ help with a technical solution for the judas gate but I like the idea and will follow with interest.

If it were me I would make uneven gates, one a 3m the other at 1m.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 05 Dec 2017, 19:38

Rammyboy wrote:
9fingers wrote:Interesting question!

Bob

PS Welcome to TWH2

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome mate. Yea, that's the bit I'm stumped on, my initial thoughts are to hang the Judas door within its own frame next to the hanging stile keeping the bottom rail 6" up to clear the bottom rail of the main gate. This would leave 6" of the tounge and grove boarding unsupported at the bottom. Hope that makes sense!

I think I'd need a drawing to really understand that, but I agree with bob, the key issue is how to maintain a proper diagonal brace and still have access through the judas door.

Just a thought, but is your drive sufficiently flat (or could it be made so) that you could avoid the need for bracing by fitting a quarter circle track and a jockey wheel to support the gate ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Rammyboy » 06 Dec 2017, 03:14

greeno wrote:I've been drawing up plans for our driveway gates too.

Ours are a little different as it is going to be three doors. Similar width to yours.

One section will open independently, the other two will bi-fold.

Your gates aren't so tall so you could do likewise.

Poking about the manufacturers websites most driveway gates have 70 x 100mm rails and stiles or a little less.

Hi Greeno, I did think about having unequal leaf sizes ie 1 no. 3mt + 1no. 1mt, but I was a bit concerned about opening a 3mt wide gate on a windy day. My initial thought about having a bifold would be the extra droop factor. (ooh err) Be interested to see your hingeing and locking arrangement. Thanks
Rammyboy
Seedling

Name:

Postby greeno » 06 Dec 2017, 11:25

It is going to be a couple of months till I start ours.

I think ours is a touch narrower so the largest leaf will be about 1.2m.

For us it is a rear entrance to the property that we regularly use as pedestrians but rarely put vehicles down it but want the option. Oh and it has to open outwards for us too.

I did ponder doing three sections. The outer two framed then simply a ledge and brace 1m central pedestrian section. That'll reduce weight.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Return to General Woodworking