It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:55

Brain storm please

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Brain storm please

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Feb 2018, 17:55

SWIMBO has taken a fancy to have one of these circular, oriental display jobbbies made and yours truly has been tasked with the job.

IMG_0902.jpg
(254.55 KiB)

This is one we saw in Kyoto recently and is what I'm going to attempt to reproduce, minus the fancy carved foot. The diameter of the circle will be 380mm (it will then go through the Jet 16-32 drum sander) and each hoop will be laminated from strips of American Cherry in two semi-circles jointed together.

The thickness of the hoops will be 8mm and the width going through the sander about 12-15mm. I've got plenty of thin odds n'sods of cherry to make all the shelving and partitions and have one or two ideas floating around but would be interested to hear about any others. TIA - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Brain storm please

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2018, 18:47

That is damn ambitious to pass through the Jet sander. Knowing my luck, it would be shredded instantly.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. The 8mm dimension...not sure exactly which one that is on the circle.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Feb 2018, 18:57

Woodbloke wrote:........ I'm going to attempt to reproduce, minus the fancy carved foot......

Pity, that's far and away the best bit.

I wouldn't let any part of the circles near any machinery whatever, other than cutting out initially on a bandsaw. 8mm, and hours of work.......that's too much risk.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 Feb 2018, 19:24

To be honest it’s not to my taste - my old man used to make rectangular ones like that for displaying small items and I didn’t like them.
At 380mm diam. the shelves are going to be tiny.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Feb 2018, 19:49

RogerS wrote:That is damn ambitious to pass through the Jet sander. Knowing my luck, it would be shredded instantly.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. The 8mm dimension...not sure exactly which one that is on the circle.

Should be OK with fine cuts and a 100g loading on the drum. The 8mm dimension is across the radius, so 5 laminations of 1.6mm x 20mm wide each which have already been cut and sanded to dimension. I'll also make a sanding former to support the laminations as they go through the machine.

Rod wrote:At 380mm diam. the shelves are going to be tiny.

Rod

That's the idea; the one in Kyoto in the pic was the about the same size, good for displaying things like netsuke - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Feb 2018, 20:40

The hoops in the photo seem to be in 3 pieces, presumably steam bent. Is this out of the question to replicate?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Feb 2018, 21:07

Andyp wrote:The hoops in the photo seem to be in 3 pieces, presumably steam bent. Is this out of the question to replicate?

I’d say 4 pieces and cut from solid...

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 06 Feb 2018, 21:10

With a bit of cunning and guile Rob, I reckon you could put any diameter hoop through your thickness sander.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Feb 2018, 23:09

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:The hoops in the photo seem to be in 3 pieces, presumably steam bent. Is this out of the question to replicate?

I’d say 4 pieces and cut from solid...

Mark

Yep, they are, but making the circular hoops is not the difficulty. How do I join the two hoops together with the cross members (jointing etc) and affix the shelves to the aforementioned cross members, taking into consideration the different angles involved as you go round the periphery?

There is a way that I've considered, but I wonder if it's the only one that's viable... - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 07 Feb 2018, 00:01

I think glue rather than joints is your friend - the shelves will not be carrying a lot of weight.
Draw it to full size, glue shelves together then laying on its side glue cross struts using small dowels.
Glue shelves in place ( I suppose you could rebate them in) and fix the other hoop.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Feb 2018, 05:24

I'd also go for glue but a combined approach that I've used that works well. Use small quantities of epoxy but also something like Mitre Mate as a temporary hold while the epoxy goes off. Couple of joints a day though.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Feb 2018, 10:40

Rod wrote:I think glue rather than joints is your friend - the shelves will not be carrying a lot of weight.
Draw it to full size, glue shelves together then laying on its side glue cross struts using small dowels.
Glue shelves in place ( I suppose you could rebate them in) and fix the other hoop.

Rod

That was my thinking too Rod, great minds etc etc :D I've already tried making some 4mm dowels with the LN dowel plate which seems to work quite well. Still going to be very fiddly though - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking