It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:42

oak floorboards

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

oak floorboards

Postby RogerS » 07 Feb 2018, 15:10

Cost is the same for either solid or engineered. 240mm wide T&G £45 per sq. metre unfinished.

So which one would you go for and why ?

The only possible reason for going engineered in the hall is to mitigate the drying effect of some central heating pipes. At least I'm assuming that engineered is more stable.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: oak floorboards

Postby Andyp » 10 Feb 2018, 10:15

Roger my experience is as usual limited.

I fitted engineered boards by Kahrs.. IIRC about 3 cross plys of pine with a 4 or 5mm beech veneer surface. These went down on top of a mass of central heating and hot water pipes in a bedroom that also housed the hot water tank and airing cupboard. In the 6 years they were down they showed no movement and I would fit them again, in our master bedroom here one day.

I left a good expansion gap around the edge of the room and was able to fitting new sold beech skirting on top.

I also have to remember that it is not heat that will cause movement in wood but changes in humidity.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 20 Feb 2018, 17:31

Well, supplier has been chosen.

French Forest Floors

We've opted for engineered boards - partly because of the central heating pipes running underneath some of flooring. 120 sq m of 260mm and 104 sq m of 240 mm. Lovely jubbly.

The landing upstairs feels as if it's got underfloor heating, they so badly lagged the 28mm pipes when they were installed. I insulated as much as I could but still a lot that was inaccessible. I'm probably going to cut a grille in the floor at one end to release the heat into the main fabric of the building.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby techauthorbob » 13 Mar 2018, 17:06

We replaced a bathroom about seven/eight years ago and did the floor in flamed oak.

The bathroom is downstairs in a bungalow, about three feet over wet clay and puddles and so far only have slight signs of cupping and one board where one edge has lifted very slightly.

The boards are fixed using a hand operated nail gun at about two feet centres along the trailing edge of each board.

The boards were treated with Polyx oil before installation and a few coats since and now have a lovely satin shine.

Sometime in the next few years I plan to sand them flat and re-oil, especially if we decide to sell and move on.

We got them from British Hardwoods in Crosshills near keighley, West Yorkshire, lovely firm to deal with.

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Return to General Woodworking