It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:58

Start Up Kit

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Start Up Kit

Postby mabazza ritchie » 15 Mar 2018, 20:43

Hello,

It has been a bit of a challenge but I have scraped together enough cash to get myself a decent lathe and tools etc., as I was working with borrowed equipment before (Small Jet VS lathe). I am looking to turn mostly large functional bowls, platters, vases and the like. I have around £2,000 to spend and that is to include everything - lathe, tools, chucks, dust extractor. A sharpening station would be nice although I will try and get one second hand (not included in my budget). My thoughts were to buy a Record Power CL4 PK/A. Does anyone use one of these lathes, if so what are the general thoughts on it? I ideally want something with a swivel headstock/outboard turning capability.

If anyone can recommend good turning tools (and sizes) and also chucks I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks in advance,
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Start Up Kit

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Mar 2018, 22:09

Hi There,

Yandles woodworking show is on 13th and 14th April and will have many deals on records products.

That might be a place to start if you're in the south of the Country.

http://www.yandles.co.uk/event/1-yandles-woodworking-show

Untitled.jpg
(450.31 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Doug » 16 Mar 2018, 09:23

A good friend bought the new CL4 & he’s had a few problems with it, he ended up sending it back to get it fixed & wasn’t happy with the quality of the repair. In hindsight I think he wished he hadn’t bought it.

As for tools I’d recommend getting Ashley Iles unhandle gouges & chisels, what’s the point of paying for a timber handle when you’re a turner, plus it’s good practice & saves you money. This is what I have done for years, not only have I go nearly two tools for the price of one but I’ve been able to make handles that suite my grip & turning style.

Over the years I’ve tried most sharpening systems & have found the Robert Sorby Pro edge the most convenient, it’s not cheap but you don’t need all the jigs, I sharpen all my turning tools free hand & it gives you flat bevels which I personally prefer.

With your budget I’d suggest you look for a second hand lathe, there are some excellent lathes that come up at reasonable prices. I don’t know if you’re a member of a club but at my local club there are regularly lathes & tools up for sale either members upgrading or sadly entire workshops up for sale as members pass away.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 16 Mar 2018, 14:40

Thanks for the suggestions. Doug - is there any particular brand or model of lathe you would suggest?

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby selectortone » 16 Mar 2018, 18:13

Hi - just stumbled onto your post. You might get a better response if you post further questions in the woodturning section:

viewforum.php?f=24

Given your budget of £2000, I would suggest you have a look at the Axminster AT1416VS or with floor stand.

My woodturning club has one and it is a very nice lathe - smooth, powerful and quiet and good for anything but the largest projects. A friend of mine also has one and he loves it. This would leave you plenty of budget for a chuck and some jaws, tools, dust extraction and a sharpening system.

You would have no problem reselling if you wanted to move up to a larger lathe further down the road. I have its bigger brother the AT1628VS and it is all the lathe I'll ever need, but over your budget. I have found Axminster to be a very good company to deal with. Not the cheapest, but like everything you get what you pay for. When I bought the lathe it was delivered on a pallet by Axminster in their own lorry with a driver and mate who trucked it into my workshop. In comparison, when I bought my Record Power BS350S bandsaw from a RP dealer it was delivered in two flimsy cardboard boxes by DPD and I had to help the poor driver up the drive with it. He didn't even have a sack truck and they are BLOODY heavy!

I think the best advice I could give you is find your local turning club, go along to a meeting and get some advice on equipment and where you can get some tuition. I started out three years ago and blundered about in the dark for six months before joining a club. It was the best thing I could have done and would have saved me some money on a few duff purchases if I had done it sooner. I've also made some good friends there!

Good luck... turning is an absorbing and very rewarding hobby.

(edit: having reread your post, I didn't notice the need for a rotating headstock. At the club the (very accomplished) turner who does most of the demonstrations doesn't have a problem with the AT1416VS's non-rotatable headstock. He's done some large bowls on it with no problems (the max is 14"). Having said that, if a rotating headstock is a must, the new Record Power Coronet Herald suits your budget. Like the Axy lathes It has an M33x3.5 spindle and MT2 headstock and tailstock tapers which makes it future-proof. The only fly in the ointment there is that it's a new product so it doesn't have an established track record yet, unlike the Axy.)
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Return to General Woodworking