It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:31

Suggestions please for a 300 year old oak floor.

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Suggestions please for a 300 year old oak floor.

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2018, 18:05

I am after ideas on finishing a rough old bit of oak flooring which is going to be in a bathroom for the first time. I'll grab some better photos later, but here is an idea of the issue:

Most of the floor is raw unfinished and quite crude floorboards. You can see I have patched in some new oak boards. Some of the floor is black, where it abutted a patch that was covered with lino. I am not sure whether this is a varnish, a stain, or a tanin reaction. Frankly, I'm not much bothered what this ends up looking like, but I want a practical useable bathroom floor, and I think that means it will need sealing with something. What do you suggest?

I also have a variety of gaps and splits which need filling, and I was wondering about using putty. I know it dries a bit too hard, and something flexible would be better, but I can't think of anything else. Again, I'm open to suggestions (and indeed, suggestions as to where to buy putty these days!).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Suggestions please for a 300 year old oak floor.

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2018, 18:17

Here are some better photos. The floor is still slightly damp from cleaning down after plastering the room, so misleadingly dark:

As an aside, I've got to bend a skirting around the 550-radius curve of that shower! Could be a giggle.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 08 Apr 2018, 18:37

A flexible, self sealing, self levelling compound with a Matt/satin?? non slip finish - if only??

I know you bought the place for the wood floors but wouldn’t a tiled floor be a safer choice?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Apr 2018, 18:42

Oi, watch yer step, Rod! :lol: ;)

No, this will be an oak floor, not a tiled one.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 08 Apr 2018, 19:06

Try steaming the skirting in a bag and bending it a couple of times and reheat it. Should go round the shower tray. I would be looking into a water based matt lacquer for the floor, something really hard wearing. Have a chat with Morrells, I cant remember the name of the product, it is used on sports hall floors.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Apr 2018, 19:16

A tip I got off the wood boat building youtube site, you could use a wallpaper steamer fed into a polythene bag and gently press the skirting around the shape of the shower tray.

The cold method would be to cut a load of half depth cuts into the back of the skirting, a saw kerf apart, and then bend around the tray.

Both methods are employed in guitar building.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2018, 21:16

Regarding the floor :

- sealing ...have you considered using one of the stone sealers ? Or Aquacoat SP from Smith and Rogers (who are incredibly helpful and maybe worth a call)

- filling in the gaps ...check out burnt sand mastic ..just a thought.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Apr 2018, 07:01

Would a visit to a boat chandlers be in order? Most boat varnishes tend to be high gloss but perhaps they can be cut back to make a little less slippery when wet.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2018, 16:04

RogerS wrote:Regarding the floor :

- sealing ...have you considered using one of the stone sealers ? Or Aquacoat SP from Smith and Rogers (who are incredibly helpful and maybe worth a call)

- filling in the gaps ...check out burnt sand mastic ..just a thought.

I've ordered some Aquacoat SP (matt). It sounds a really interesting product from a woodworker's perspective....a water-based lacquer, but 1 part, brushable, non-yellowing, paler even than Rustins Plastic Coating, and flexible.

Burnt sand mastic seems more appropriate for timber-to-masonry gaps than for timber-to-timber gaps, but I could be wrong on that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2018, 16:07

Malc2098 wrote:.......The cold method would be to cut a load of half depth cuts into the back of the skirting, a saw kerf apart, and then bend around the tray....

This was my plan, but it's complicated by the moulding on (or out of) the front face of the board. I'll certainly be trying this before I try steaming.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2018, 16:08

MJ80 wrote:...... I would be looking into a water based matt lacquer for the floor, something really hard wearing..........

I think you're dead right, and I think the Aquacoat SP might fit the bill. Thanks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Apr 2018, 16:36

Mike G wrote:....
Burnt sand mastic seems more appropriate for timber-to-masonry gaps than for timber-to-timber gaps, but I could be wrong on that.

Certainly that was the original purpose for it. Just thought that it might address the hole-filling question. Do you have any linseed oil ? I can send you some sand to experiment with.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2018, 17:50

Don't worry Roger, I've got some sand as well as gallons of L.O. I'll have a play, but out of interest only, as it won't be ready in time to do this floor.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby techauthorbob » 09 Apr 2018, 17:58

We have a flamed oak bathroom floor three feet above damp clay and used Polyx oil on it.

Been ok for several years now, just add coats occasionally

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Return to General Woodworking