It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:40

Stick build or Factory built timber framed house panels??

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Stick build or Factory built timber framed house panels??

Postby RogerM » 25 Apr 2018, 23:17

My daughter and son-in-law are about to build a timber framed house, and have quotes for both "Stick build" - where the frames are constructed in situ, and for "Factory built open panels" incorporating "I beams". What are the pro's and cons of each?

I have no experience in this, but my view FWIW is that if they were to go for the factory built panels, they would be flat and square, and would spend less time out in all weathers before the shell becomes waterproof. This could be very relevant as they are likely to be reaching that stage around October this year, just before winter kicks in, or in to winter if there is any over run. I suggested leaving it until next spring, but they cannot bear the thought of another winter in the house that is to be demolished to make way for it, and having stayed there I can understand that!

The downside is that the contract terms are rather more onerous for the system built panels. Understandable given that they will of no use to anyone else.

Downside for stick build is inaccuracies creeping in during construction, the frame being open to the weather - possibly for several months - and the risk of theft of materials left on site during construction.

Anyone any thoughts that would help them decide? The costs are very similar, but with the factory built panels working out marginally cheaper.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Stick build or Factory built timber framed house panels?

Postby Rod » 25 Apr 2018, 23:49

I’m no expert but watching Grand Designs the prefabricated panels go up in no time and the houses are reasonably water tight in a few days.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2018, 07:54

I think you summed it up rather well in the OP. They'll save time buying in panels (I've done it.....the external house walls were up before morning tea break on the first day), but they'll save money doing it themselves.* One advantage that isn't immediately obvious is that the timber frame companies will do all the structural engineering themselves, so you don't need to employ a structural engineer. A big factor is that you have to sign off the drawings, and that's that......end of discussion. No, you can't move that window. No, you can't change the en suite.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. The biggest problem with structural timber is what the sun does to it. Getting it wet, and having plenty of cloud cover, is the very best way of keeping everything straight.

I would pay a very great deal of attention to the designed wall details. Personally, I believe that there is a scandal in the brewing where OSB is used as an external sheathing board. It is not vapour permeable, and yet is being used on the outside of millions of timber frames, outside the insulation. This can only lead to condensation on the inside of the board, in my view. If it were me I would demand they use Panelvent, a breathable sheathing board. Timber frame suppliers will happily do this if they are told to.

Next question: balloon frame or storey panels?

*Actually, they'll save less time than one would think, because the panel suppliers typically want start production until the plinths have been built, so that they can take site measurements.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 28 Apr 2018, 09:55

Thanks Mike. I knew I could rely on you to write some sense. I'll pass on your comments.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Return to General Woodworking