It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:27

Garage Wiring With Conduit...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Garage Wiring With Conduit...

Postby themissingelf » 27 Apr 2018, 15:44

Hi,

As part of my "garage rescue", I'm gonna re-wire. Currently I have armoured cable to a consumer unit (all good) but thereafter it goes a little crabby... Cables clipped to walls, some trunking, random old sockets etc. Same with the lighting circuit with lights fitted wherever there was ceiling space.

My original plan was to run the socket circuit up high with drops down to sockets. However, I've observed examples of people simply running conduit horizontally between sockets. The latter seems much more straightforward and easier to install additional sockets should the need arise.

I'm also contemplating incorporating an outdoor socket in the circuit, simply by routing out through the wall part way round.

Interested in peoples thoughts and experiences.

Cheers
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Garage Wiring With Conduit...

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2018, 17:14

Hi TME, and welcome.

I'll do the boring architect's thing and mention that all electrical work in outbuildings requires certification by an suitably qualified electrician.

In my workshop I didn't even use conduit. I have surface mounted cable runs, which may not be as pretty as some, but is very safe.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Apr 2018, 17:51

Hi TME. Welcome from Mid Devon.

You may have noticed my 'shop build. I used leftover 11mm OSB and 25x25 to create trunking round my walls and over the doors. I'm awaiting sign off.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodster » 27 Apr 2018, 18:36

Mike G wrote:Hi TME, and welcome.

I'll do the boring architect's thing and mention that all electrical work in outbuildings requires certification by an suitably qualified electrician.

In my workshop I didn't even use conduit. I have surface mounted cable runs, which may not be as pretty as some, but is very safe.

I fixed the lights and sockets where I wanted them and a couple of sparkies wired up and signed off for me. All surface mounted as well.

I also had a water resistant outside double socket installed and it’s proved very handy.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 27 Apr 2018, 18:44

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out the build thread.

Noted re Part P. I'll have a chat with a friend who is an electrician to see if he is allowed and prepared to sign-off my work.
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2018, 20:08

The first time I wired my workshop I ran the conduit down from the ceiling but instantly realised that it gets in the way of cupboards and shelving etc. Apart from going up and around the window and door it now runs about a foot above bench height.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2018, 21:24

My sparky suggested running trunking along the top of the wall and then dropping down conduit to sockets. Makes sense to me because that leaves maximum open space for cupboards, racking supports etc..

Andy...don't you just put the cupboards in between the conduit that's dropped down ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2018, 22:19

Possibly Roger. In my mind I just had visions of cutting shelves to fit around vertical conduit.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 28 Apr 2018, 13:23

I ran my sockets in conduit at high level, having power leads draping down to tools seems preferable than having the sockets at low level & the resulting power leads forever in the way.
I did drop a couple of sockets lower for the compressor etc but these were done at a latter date when I was happy with my shop lay out, having the wiring in conduit made alterations straight forward & I like the protection it gives as opposed to having exposed wires.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 29 Apr 2018, 17:14

Thanks again for the input.

My workshop is a garage from the 1930's and therefore not particularly wide. I'm proposing to make it quite mobile insofar as having tools and worktables on wheels so I can reconfigure depending on my needs at the time. Most of the shelving will be high up, leaving space for mobile bases and tools to be pushed against the walls. Some "bulk" storage will be free standing racking down to floor level but that will be limited to one run. Ultimately it will be lean and clean.

So... the varying points about drops and shelves... Given my specific proposal... I think I will go round the room at just below shoulder height; putting in many sockets to maintain the flexibility, including some to power chargers and similar which will be on the shelves.
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Apr 2018, 18:49

Rather than use valuable shelf space, I built my charging stations into the base of one of the movable stands.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 29 Apr 2018, 20:11

RogerS wrote:Rather than use valuable shelf space, I built my charging stations into the base of one of the movable stands.

Hmmmm... I like that idea...
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Return to General Woodworking