It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:11

Glue Failure

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Glue Failure

Postby Rod » 12 Jul 2018, 22:57

To gain a bit of extra height, whilst pruning, I stood on my garden bench glider to trigger off a crunching sound and a sudden downward movement. Part of the base had come apart.
I’d made the bench about 12yrs a go out of English Oak using Gorilla Glue as the adhesive.
The failed joints had pulled apart showing a glue failure - the wood is still very sound:

I never used the glue again on any other project as I didn’t like the way it foamed and I’m glad in that.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Glue Failure

Postby timothyedoran » 12 Jul 2018, 23:44

Only 12 years outdoors? I have no idea how long you would expect glue to last. 12 seems alright to me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Rod » 13 Jul 2018, 00:07

I would have expected the wood to go before the glue but I’m no expert.
Other things I’ve made, which to be fair, have had a more sheltered existence but made with less exotic glues are still around. Some nearly 50 yrs old.
Perhaps I should have ignored the advertising hype.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 13 Jul 2018, 06:40

Gorilla glue as in polyurethane? The only thing I use it on is for edge jointing softwood or tulip wood. When it first came out I learnt the hard way that it wasn't the miracle glue people thought it was. I had a few edge joints in oak begin to fail. Titebond 3 though does seem to be amazing. Clamped some oak up last night for 30 minutes, then delicately began to work on it. That's as quick as polyurethane so that's my glue of choice for strength (besides epoxy ) A couple experiments with Titebond 3 have shown it to out perform cascamite in a few situations !

Looks like you'll be able to reglue that without too much hassle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Jul 2018, 08:53

Yes that was the stuff - took moisture from the wood and foamed up. Very messy to use.
I cleaned the joints up, removing the old glue and using Titebond III and my Pony Clamps made the repair.
I shall put it to the test this morning.
It’s the first time I’ve used the Ponys, they are great. My plumber provided the tubing and threaded the ends for me.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking