It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:12

Finish for oak window boards

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Finish for oak window boards

Postby the bear » 18 Jul 2018, 18:10

Hello all.

I need to make and install some oak window boards in the near future. I need some advise on what to finish them with. I want a matt finish,no yellowing, low maintenance. Does such a product exist. I have previously used Rustins matt varnish on some old pine doors in my previous house which I was happy with. But Im aware there are a plethora of products out there I have never tried so any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: Finish for oak window boards

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 Jul 2018, 18:29

How about Ronseal Diamond Hard or a similar waterbourne acrylic? It will give you a lighter, but cooler colour tone and a very durable finish. Best results are achieved by flooding the surface and a quick 'tip-off'. De-nib after the first coat with 320gt.

It will however eventually mellow, especially from UV influence on the woods lignum, though imo Oak mellows nicely. You can delay the 'yellowing' further by using a finish with UV blockers. Though I find the blockers slightly reduce the transparency of the finish

I've used the Osmo UV Wax (waterbourne) on lightwood (maple & sycamore) and after 2-3 years of hard uv exposure, it still looks good.

HTH

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jul 2018, 18:41

Take a look at this on the Peak Oak website. They've got a lot of useful guides.

I've also had good results with Chestnut microcrystalline wax.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby the bear » 20 Jul 2018, 22:43

Thanks for the replies.
Jimmy I can't see the ronseal diamnond hard in matt?
Roger thats a lot to read, thanks.
I'm not really very well versed in finishing to be honest. What exactly is for example a hard wax oil such as the Osmo, and would this be any good?

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 21 Jul 2018, 02:28

Osmo hard wax range was originally formulated for floors and has been used successfully on furniture. It may “yellow” the oak though. They have a new product which is supposed not to yellow.
Sikkens do some water based varnishes which are good and shouldn’t “yellow”.
A cheap finish is diluted pu varnish, several coats applied very thinly - it will yellow though.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking