It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:27

Raised fielded panels in ???

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Raised fielded panels in ???

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Aug 2018, 13:38

Rod wrote:That’s a lovely door

Rod

:text-+1: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Aug 2018, 18:29

Thanks guys. I'm back on site tomorrow, ill try and get some picks of it with the sidelights in and hardware fitted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 19:26

What we want to know is where the WIP photos are :twisted: ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2018, 19:54

stu wrote:Thanks guys. I'm back on site tomorrow, ill try and get some picks of it with the sidelights in and hardware fitted.

You are getting quite good at this door lark Stu! Maybe you should take it up professionally :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Coley » 14 Aug 2018, 20:40

Seeing that stormguard fitted made me seriously rethink how I make inward opening doors today.
I'm making a couple of door frames and it mostly use to be the case that the client didn't want to see a shiny strip along the front edge of the door. I think they've got a lot smaller now and they also do them in black. This was some of today's effort -
So much extra work and to be honest I'm not sure it's worth it. A metal stormguard would have been so much quicker and most likely do a better job ! I think stormguards will now be my default with the option of having a plastic water bar and wooden weather bar if they choose they don't like the metal strip

Out of curiosity Stu, what paint did you use on the door that still allowed the grain to show through ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 14 Aug 2018, 20:47

Roger, sorry for the hijack

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 21:07

Coley wrote:Roger, sorry for the hijack

No need to apologise at all. Really interesting. Your mortices put me to shame :oops:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Aug 2018, 21:27

Tidy work Coley, good to see.

Stormguards are definitely easier. I find that clients can be particularly compliant when you need them to be. We match the sill colour to the rest of the hardware and it seems to be acceptable as a part of the weather seal 'system'

We spray Teknos paint, great stuff and they work with accoya so it's another tick in the box for longevity. Took a bit of time to get set up for small runs and colour changes but we've got a system that works for us. (Air assisted airless for priming, pressure assist gravity fed gun for top coat). I often wonder whether I'd be better off painting by hand!
Coley wrote:Seeing that stormguard fitted made me seriously rethink how I make inward opening doors today.
I'm making a couple of door frames and it mostly use to be the case that the client didn't want to see a shiny strip along the front edge of the door. I think they've got a lot smaller now and they also do them in black. This was some of today's effort -
So much extra work and to be honest I'm not sure it's worth it. A metal stormguard would have been so much quicker and most likely do a better job ! I think stormguards will now be my default with the option of having a plastic water bar and wooden weather bar if they choose they don't like the metal strip

Out of curiosity Stu, what paint did you use on the door that still allowed the grain to show through ?

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 14 Aug 2018, 22:24

The wedges really help expand the tenon in the mortice better Roger

Thanks Stu. I guess if the client really disliked the strip they could paint it to match the cill (if it was going to be painted) - It'd be handy to think of a way to disguise it on a varnished cill but I don't think that would be possible unless it trapped water......?
I had an extension put on the workshop maybe 3 years ago with the intention of having a spray booth. It's the thought of spending loads of money, then realising I'm not very good at it that's put me off the next step. Would I be right in thinking approximately £4000 for a biggish new spray booth and maybe £1500-£2000 for spray equipment?

Most jobs are usually 3-8 windows or doors, but occasionally I'll get jobs that require 20-30 pieces. Do you think it would still be worthwhile considering getting setup for those smaller jobs ? I'd kind of convinced myself to keep brushing, but wonder if there are better lasting finishes that require spraying on.
My last ditched attempt at convincing myself I didn't need a spray booth was experimenting with linseed paint- that's really not going very well

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Aug 2018, 22:56

Spraying is a bit of a black art. It's very unforgiving and I've spent many a long night respraying doors where I've cocked something up. Ultimately though, it's a system like any other process in the workshop. You work out what's good and what's bad and keep doing the good bits and try to work out why the bad bits didn't work! My setup was about 1k-2k as I've bought bargains that have become available rather than going out and buying it all in one go. It's pretty easy to knock up a booth with some filters and add a fan.

I'm not an expert but if I was to give one piece of advice if you are thinking about giving it a go but weren't fully committed, it would be to try and setup yourself for priming - its more forgiving and you'll get used to using the gun. I used to use an £80ish gun from Morrels and get decent results from that. Get used to being clean and tidy and see how you get on. Once you done a large batch of glazing bars you won't look back!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby stu » 14 Aug 2018, 22:56

9fingers wrote:
stu wrote:Thanks guys. I'm back on site tomorrow, ill try and get some picks of it with the sidelights in and hardware fitted.

You are getting quite good at this door lark Stu! Maybe you should take it up professionally

Bob
You might be onto something there Bob!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Aug 2018, 04:53

Isn't spraying wasteful of paint especially on small items ? When I spray painted the bathroom there seemed to be as much paint on the floor as the walls and my impression was that I'd used much more paint than if I'd brushed or rollered.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 15 Aug 2018, 06:29

stu wrote:Spraying is a bit of a black art. It's very unforgiving and I've spent many a long night respraying doors where I've cocked something up. Ultimately though, it's a system like any other process in the workshop. You work out what's good and what's bad and keep doing the good bits and try to work out why the bad bits didn't work! My setup was about 1k-2k as I've bought bargains that have become available rather than going out and buying it all in one go. It's pretty easy to knock up a booth with some filters and add a fan.

I'm not an expert but if I was to give one piece of advice if you are thinking about giving it a go but weren't fully committed, it would be to try and setup yourself for priming - its more forgiving and you'll get used to using the gun. I used to use an £80ish gun from Morrels and get decent results from that. Get used to being clean and tidy and see how you get on. Once you done a large batch of glazing bars you won't look back!

I did buy a spray gun, cleaning equipment, mask and regulator for the gun. Because I was experimenting and trying to learn I had overspray literally everywhere !!! As Roger was saying I found I was using so much paint I was really struggling to justify carrying on. One thing that put me of building my own booth was the thought of having to bodge a hole in the roof and try to get a chimney outside sticking up a metre or so, or whatever the legal requirements are. I guess spraying waterbased would be a little more forgiving- would I even need to hack a hole in the roof until I got a bit more serious ?

I did have some success that just blew my mind how quick it was, oh no.....I feel i need to have another try with waterbased finishes and some sort of booth effort At least with the booth running I should be able to see past the clouds of airborne spray.

Thanks for the insight Stu

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 15 Aug 2018, 06:50

RogerS wrote:Isn't spraying wasteful of paint especially on small items ? When I spray painted the bathroom there seemed to be as much paint on the floor as the walls and my impression was that I'd used much more paint than if I'd brushed or rollered.
You do use a lot more paint then other methods, and some systems are more wasteful than others which is why i have 2 different setups for primer and top coat. Paint is relatively cheap though, and the pay off is in the speed and quality. Being a commercial environment I probably have different considerations to someone doing it at home for themselves.

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Aug 2018, 07:31

But do you not find that you spend as much time, if not more, in setting up and then cleaning the kit compared to other methods ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 15 Aug 2018, 09:02

RogerS wrote:But do you not find that you spend as much time, if not more, in setting up and then cleaning the kit compared to other methods ?
Spraying is like any skill, you get better over time. You'll know what needs to be clean and when you have to clean it and you avoid making mess where it impacts your workflow and quality. Over time you build up your cleaning kit and become efficient in your prep and clean up. I used to get covered in paint when I started, but now I'm able to keep myself and my work area relatively clean.

It's too easy, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, to watch a couple of videos on YouTube and expect to get professional results straight away. It's boring but you have to put in the ground work and learn the skill. It's tempting to blame equipment or circumstances but as a novice the truth is you can expect to get consistent high quality results straight away, but the more you do it the better you get.

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Aug 2018, 09:10

I am certainly no expert and much more of a voyeur, but Peter Millard has had a large job and bit the bullet to spray to save time.

This is the first of 8 of his 'spray' vids which I think could help a pro with decisions about including spraying as well as brushing and rolling to their *. I found it useful.

[youtube]q4o1Ak_r468[/youtube]

Edit! Ha!!The net nazis asterisked my word for an armoury of tools and a football team!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby sammy.se » 15 Aug 2018, 10:04

Don't forget, you can buy very inexpensive tent-type spray booths, used for tanning!

Check eBay/online. From 15 quid upwards. Great way to have a temporary, space saving spray booth, but only suitable for items up to 1 human size :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 15 Aug 2018, 11:04

Malc2098 wrote:I am certainly no expert and much more of a voyeur, but Peter Millard has had a large job and bit the bullet to spray to save time.

This is the first of 8 of his 'spray' vids which I think could help a pro with decisions about including spraying as well as brushing and rolling to their *. I found it useful.

[youtube]q4o1Ak_r468[/youtube]

Edit! Ha!!The net nazis asterisked my word for an armoury of tools and a football team!
I did watch all of those Malc but wasn't 100% convinced a gun could make all the adjustments and make it into a 'point and shoot' task. I could cover a large panel with my spray gun today, It's getting it to cover evenly and without orange peel, runs etc that's the tricky part- oh, and seeing though the overspray mist I'll have to try waternorne finishes again,even the neighbour at one point asked what the heck was I doing- apparantly the solvent smell took his breath away

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 15 Aug 2018, 11:07

sammy.se wrote:Don't forget, you can buy very inexpensive tent-type spray booths, used for tanning!

Check eBay/online. From 15 quid upwards. Great way to have a temporary, space saving spray booth, but only suitable for items up to 1 human size :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I did buy a 3metre square gazebo to contain the mist- never thought of using that as the booth- nice one I need to find a cheapo extractor fan and fix it in the back- would it need venting outside for waterbased or would I just need to ensure air can come in from somewhere ?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby stu » 17 Aug 2018, 12:08

The nearly finished job. Still waiting for a knocker from the supplier and the alarm guy but you get the idea.Image

stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 17 Aug 2018, 13:26

Not too keen on the addition of those sidelight panels if I'm being honest Stu, I think they detract attention from the door. I was imagining a couple of tall panes of glass after seeing the first picture. Looks quite nifty how the panels line through though Smart tidy job

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Aug 2018, 14:19

What is the recess in the brickwork to the lefthand flank wall?
Looks a bit like the bricked up window that you sometimes in an old building that has had windows removed (window tax?) but this looks like newer/new brickwork.

Nice door nevertheless

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 17 Aug 2018, 14:31

9fingers wrote:What is the recess in the brickwork to the lefthand flank wall?
Looks a bit like the bricked up window that you sometimes in an old building that has had windows removed (window tax?) but this looks like newer/new brickwork.

Nice door nevertheless

Bob

I'm pretty sure it's all new brickwork and the recess makes an otherwise plain boring wall a bit more interesting.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 17 Aug 2018, 14:50

Coley wrote:Not too keen on the addition of those sidelight panels if I'm being honest Stu, I think they detract attention from the door. I was imagining a couple of tall panes of glass after seeing the first picture. Looks quite nifty how the panels line through though Smart tidy job

Fair enough! It looks a bit bottom heavy at the moment but the client is having the house name sign written in the glass above the door which will help to balance it a bit.

This might be more to your liking!

stu
New Shoots

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking