It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:54

Accurately opening out a hole

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Accurately opening out a hole

Postby felixgogo » 14 Aug 2018, 13:46

Hi, I have a wooden workbench, which oddly has 15.7mm holes in it, and this is not compatible with most fittings, and I'd like to use parf kit and hold-downs which are 20mm.

How can I open out these holes accurately?

If I try to runa 20mm drill bit into the hole it'll not run parallel. I'm not sure how to approach this.
felixgogo
Seedling

Name:

Re: Accurately opening out a hole

Postby sammy.se » 14 Aug 2018, 14:38

felixgogo wrote:Hi, I have a wooden workbench, which oddly has 15.7mm holes in it, and this is not compatible with most fittings, and I'd like to use parf kit and hold-downs which are 20mm.

How can I open out these holes accurately?

If I try to runa 20mm drill bit into the hole it'll not run parallel. I'm not sure how to approach this.
Hmm, maybe not the cheapest optuon, but if you buy an MFT template, it comes with reference dogs that you can attach to your first hole, thereafter every other hole made using the template will be parallel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2018, 15:06

I would buy some 5/8" dowelling and glue full depth sections into the holes. Then use whatever template scheme you wish to cut the new holes. most drills and forstners need a central support all the way through to stop them wandering. Even though you will be turning all the dowelling to sawdust, you will get a far better result and the cost will be trivial in comparison to the frustration of wonky holes.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Coley » 14 Aug 2018, 15:36

How thick is the top ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Aug 2018, 18:16

9fingers wrote:I would buy some 5/8" dowelling and glue full depth sections into the holes. Then use whatever template scheme you wish to cut the new holes. most drills and forstners need a central support all the way through to stop them wandering. Even though you will be turning all the dowelling to sawdust, you will get a far better result and the cost will be trivial in comparison to the frustration of wonky holes.

Bob

Yep, that's how I'd do it as well - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 17 Aug 2018, 10:26

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:I would buy some 5/8" dowelling and glue full depth sections into the holes. Then use whatever template scheme you wish to cut the new holes. most drills and forstners need a central support all the way through to stop them wandering. Even though you will be turning all the dowelling to sawdust, you will get a far better result and the cost will be trivial in comparison to the frustration of wonky holes.

Bob

Yep, that's how I'd do it as well - Rob

Yep, me too.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Woodster » 17 Aug 2018, 11:08

How thick is the worktop? If you have enough travel you could simply plunge cut the holes with a router firmly clamped in position. It would be much quicker than plugging and should leave better holes in terms of size, finish and being vertical to the surface.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby felixgogo » 24 Aug 2018, 09:53

Thanks all, I thought perhaps there would be some fancy tool that would do that, but perhaps not.

I think rather than plugging and redrilling, I'll just drill new 20mm holes in between the existing.

Thanks for the router idea - I don't have a router, so this maybe a great excuse to get one!
felixgogo
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking