It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:52

The Ax Book!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

The Ax Book!

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Aug 2018, 16:59

The catalogue is coming back for all those wood manglers that like to turn a page :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: The Ax Book!

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 18:36

When ? How come ? Can i pay a couple quid for it ? Will there be a limited edition hardback version available? Oh goody goody goody !!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby StevieB » 18 Aug 2018, 18:55

Are we back to prices being fixed for 6 or 12 months then?

I am presuming the 'big machinery sale' is a precursor to the new trade models Ax are teasing - hopefully these will make it into the new catalogue, something to drool over! :D :eusa-dance:
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 18:57

I'm ready

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Aug 2018, 19:57

Good news. I have always found the search facility on the Axi website “difficult” . Far easier to browse a book than a website.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Aug 2018, 20:03

StevieB wrote:Are we back to prices being fixed for 6 or 12 months then?

You have to be joking. The only time the prices will be current is the day the catalogue is printed, as will be the range of Ax gear and equipment. I would also expect to see a 'rider' somewhere to inform customers that current prices are shown on the website...in fact, they may not publish the prices in the paper version. Also, expect to see a sneaky price hike to cover the very considerable cost of paper and printing. It's called having your cake and eating it - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 18 Aug 2018, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 20:28

They must have done it for a reason Rob ? It'd be useful as a reference just to see the product codes. For the record I need absolutely nothing. It's only when I flick through the pages I'll be able to see new items of interest. Rob, do tell- how come their bring out a catalogue again ?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 20:31

It's their choice to do it Rob !- take a leaf from toolstation if you want a website for inspiration. They have an online catalogue that you can just flip through the pages. No printing costs what soever, but it does away with the websites search bar

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Aug 2018, 22:07

Coley wrote:They must have done it for a reason Rob ? It'd be useful as a reference just to see the product codes. For the record I need absolutely nothing. It's only when I flick through the pages I'll be able to see new items of interest. Rob, do tell- how come their bring out a catalogue again ?

I have no idea why but can hazard a guess, which I'm not prepared to elaborate on further. As to 'new items of interest', they'll only be new on the day the catalogue is published; six months down the road there'll be a whole range of new kit which won't be in the paper version, but it will be on the website.

Although it seems that a lot of Ax customers like paper pages to flick over, for me, it's a massive step back into yesteryear as they appear to have capitulated to market pressure - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 22:14

I admire your loyalty to Axminster Rob, but you're not really selling the new catalogue release ! Have you got something against them bringing out a paper reference copy

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Aug 2018, 22:50

Coley wrote:I admire your loyalty to Axminster Rob, but you're not really selling the new catalogue release ! Have you got something against them bringing out a paper reference copy

Why would I want to sell the paper catalogue release? I like dinosaurs as well but wouldn't want to see them return any time soon :D I no longer work for Ax, so although I hugely admire the company and it's ethos, I feel no loyalty as such and just think that this is a completely backwards, retrograde step - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 Aug 2018, 22:53

Toolstation and Screwfix both publish printed Catalogues. Just received a new Toolstation one yesterday in the post.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 18 Aug 2018, 22:58

Rob, their machinery range has now aquired the nickname of crapminster- I fail to see how bringing out a paper catalogue which can further promote their tools could have a negative effect? They aren't known for their quality range of tools anymore, more how swiftly they resend out the same item hoping it's satisfactory- a far cry from their original reputation,which was quality from the start !

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Doug » 19 Aug 2018, 06:56

Coley wrote:Rob, their machinery range has now aquired the nickname of crapminster- I fail to see how bringing out a paper catalogue which can further promote their tools could have a negative effect? They aren't known for their quality range of tools anymore, more how swiftly they resend out the same item hoping it's satisfactory- a far cry from their original reputation,which was quality from the start !

Perhaps there in lies the answer for the return of the catalogue, their reputation has been going down the pan for a number of years & they are back tracking in an attempt to gain back some credibility.

Their money would be better spent investing in some quality control in China, if nothing else it would help the environment.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Aug 2018, 09:19

I'm happy to see the return of the paper cat.... I've wasted many a pleasant hour looking through

Though I agree it is a bit of a backward step, though much of the romance of woodworking sits in the past too - so imo it's place is viable.

An eBook version should be the standard with perhaps a request version of the paperback as opposed to sending out thousands....maybe they could be sold with the proceeds going to the print cost or a charity such as 'men in sheds'.

Even though it squeaked a bit.... And seems to have settled in, I'm happy with my Axi TS machine, it needed fettling in places but over all it ticked the most boxes in comparison to much more expensive machines.... I've used some premium brands in the past and it's surprising how weak they are in their engineering... Tho you can't beat a good solid Wadkin era machine - if you can find one or the time to restore.

I find the Axi customer service to be very good and you can always speak to someone... Which is definitely a big plus. I hope they continue with success; the online market has made it very competitive for tool supplies.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Aug 2018, 10:53

Doug wrote:Perhaps there in lies the answer for the return of the catalogue, their reputation has been going down the pan for a number of years & they are back tracking in an attempt to gain back some credibility.

Their money would be better spent investing in some quality control in China, if nothing else it would help the environment.

Very possibly Doug, but I don't think that's the reason for the return of the catalogue; let's say 'internal shenanigans' at leave it there :D

The new range of kit manufactured by Harvey is certainly much better than the standard offerings currently available, as is the range of 'Powermatic' stuff, even though it's made in Taiwan. I know for a fact that there's been a push in recent years to improve quality right across the range but it's going to be some time before we see an overall improvement, 'Rider' planes being a case in point. Some days they're good, other days bloody dreadful - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 21 Aug 2018, 14:33

They always sent me two "books", it used to take me ages to read both of them :)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Aug 2018, 08:07

I went to the Oak Fair yesterday in deepest, darkest Dorset and spent some time nattering to Matt from the main Ax shop. It transpires that the guys in the shops have had consistent requests for the return of the paper catalogue, not least because many of their customers are older chaps with little or no experience of t'interweb. It also appears that internet access in that part of the West Country is a bit limited.

Happened also at the same time to purchase some very nice, VERY cheap but also very wet, heavy timber - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 26 Aug 2018, 09:16

Do you think it will be like the old catalogue - have a range of different brands, veritas, Clifton,makita, bosch etc or will it literally just have Axminster stuff ?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2018, 09:46

I’ve put in my request for one

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Aug 2018, 09:57

Coley wrote:Do you think it will be like the old catalogue - have a range of different brands, veritas, Clifton,makita, bosch etc or will it literally just have Axminster stuff ?

Nope, it won't be like the old one, more of a slimmed down version with just their own branded stuff, such as the UJK range. No power tools either as prices change almost on a daily basis - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Oct 2018, 17:10

My book dropped onto the mat this morning. 320 pages with lots of different branded stuff; not too bad if a little slimmed down compared to the previous editions - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 18 Oct 2018, 17:36

Yes I got mine today as well but not had chance to look at it yet.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 18 Oct 2018, 17:40

Woo - something to look forward to on the commute home!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Oct 2018, 18:30

Mine came today, too. South of the country must be more righteous! :eusa-whistle:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Next

Return to General Woodworking