It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:01

veneering on OSB

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

veneering on OSB

Postby justaskin » 08 Sep 2018, 06:55

With the availability of various thicknesses now of OSB. Has any of our guru's tried or have tips on veneering. To my mind due to its structure does this affect having to use a backing veneer or other layering oddities :?:
Or is this a case of suck it and see.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Re: veneering on OSB

Postby Mike G » 08 Sep 2018, 07:31

Blimey, Richard, that's an odd one. It's not all that flat, OSB, and with veneers being as thin as paper I can't think you have much chance of a good outcome.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby StevieB » 08 Sep 2018, 07:34

I have done a bit of veneering but am by no means an expert. The key thing is that your background needs to be flat and free from blemishes - OSB would not fall into this category. There is a reason most veneered boards are either MDF or plywood.

You want your veneer stuck all over your background, which is why air pressure (vacuum bags) or large presses are often used - they apply even pressure across the entire surface. This prevents air bubbles in your veneer leading to raised areas (think bad wallpapering). Even if you got veneer to stick to OSB so it appeared flat, there would be voids where the OSB had 'valleys' in its surface.

I am curious as to what you are trying to do. Veneering is used either where solid timber is prohibitively expensive or unavailable andtends to be on small decorative pieces - jewellery boxes, fine furniture etc - or in large panels that can then be used as panelling or cut down. These are readily available from suppliers. What is it you have in OSB that means you need to veneer it?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 08 Sep 2018, 09:35

I'd say it could be done but not worth the effort. You'd have to fill the voids where the wood flakes meet and you'd have to use thick veneers like 1.5mm or 2mm thick not the 0.5mm stuff so you could sand it back to flat.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby justaskin » 08 Sep 2018, 12:56

Thank you all yet another lesson in life learned, Until I went out with a straight edge this morning they seemed flat :shock:n Now I feel abit of a ijget asking.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby 9fingers » 08 Sep 2018, 20:54

justaskin wrote:Thank you all yet another lesson in life learned, Until I went out with a straight edge this morning they seemed flat :shock:n Now I feel abit of a ijget asking.

Richard

And there was I thinking you had some miraculous "silk purse from sow's ear" scheme :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to General Woodworking