It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:43

Baywitch

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Baywitch

Postby techauthorbob » 17 Oct 2018, 17:59

She's not really but I need to look into making a pair of bay windows in wood to replace some old plastic ones for her...

These are approx eight feet wide, five feet high and two feet deep with no openers. They are on three feet high dwarf brick walls and have extensions to the house slate roof over them. There are three individual panes on the front.

SO, can't find much info about making them but I plan to recreate more or less what's there - 80mm corner uprights, 50mm uprights between.

I could make the the top and bottom horizontal members and the intermediate uprights 80 x 50 approximately if needed, depending on how it looks when I draw it out.

The new glass would be either double or triple glazed, not sure yet, that depends on cost, probably double.

Does the above sound feasible?

If so what sort of wood is best, I have mainly used oak on other jobs, also I plan to use microporous paint

Thanks,

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Re: Baywitch

Postby Doug » 17 Oct 2018, 18:47

Personally I would opt for Accoya for Windows that we’re going to be painted, that’s what it has been designed for. I’ve some large gates to make for myself next year & I’ll definitely be using it.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking