It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:01

Christmas Woodworking Idea/s

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Christmas Woodworking Idea/s

Postby JWood » 20 Oct 2018, 18:22

Only 9 weeks and 3 days until Christmas Day... I would love to try a small project like this one
for my friends and family. Got the idea from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFTjK7BKzw but he doesn't mention any of the materials he's using... Any ideas on which would be the best ones? Any type of pallet .. what kind of finish? Sorry for the noob questions. :oops:
JWood
Seedling

Name:

Re: Christmas Woodworking Idea/s

Postby HappyHacker » 20 Oct 2018, 19:31

Completely off topic, with the exception of the deadline, I have just taken up the oak strip floor in the living room to replace the joists (about 28 sq M). The joists were laid on tiles and slate levellers on the ground and concrete laid around them. As there was no DPC they did the natural thing and mainly disappeared. The ones that did not disappear were trapezoid shape with the narrow bit at the top so they needed cutting out.

So along with relaying the floor I am fitting new skirting, architrave, coving and redecorating, all to be done before Christmas so any plans I had to make stuff are out of the window, again.

Sorry I cannot help with the materials but I would use whatever I have available and not worry too much about finish, what ever you do it will probably look great. I find I too worry about finish and materials and when I eventually just do it it usually looks OK and if it doesn't I treat it as a learning experience.

So I recommend the JFDI methodology :) I looked it up to check that it was easy to find and was surprised to see it is becoming mainstream. It has worked for me for many years.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Oct 2018, 22:00

On topic, I think, a lot of the internals of my workshop, which has been a huge part of my life for the last 2 years, have been made from leftovers, up-cycled and offcuts (I always over ordered!).

My workbench, when I make it, will probably be made from leftover joist, rafter and stud material.

So just use what you've got and whatever you can lay your hands on!

Go for it!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby StevieB » 21 Oct 2018, 12:18

To answer the first post - any timber would work. He is using a recycled pallet but there is no need to. If you want to just 'cut' rather than make a panel, you could buy premboard from a DIY shed (effectively a pine shelf board) but this would be more expensive than scrap wood. If you don't have access to scrap such as a pallet, or the tools to convert one, then buy some PAR timber and stick that together as shown in the vid, sizing your tree to the wood panel you make. A scroll saw for cutting the tree would be neater, but a jigsaw with a fine blade may also work for simple shapes that can be cut with straight lines. If you want a snowman, raindeer or christmas fairy then a jigsaw would perhaps not be so good!

For images just search in google images with your keyword. Adding 'clipart' or 'outline' to the search term can be helpful in proving simplified designs sometimes.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to General Woodworking