It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:00

Cross Braces - Q for Mike G

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Cross Braces - Q for Mike G

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2018, 14:36

Mike, probably a stupid question.
in what order did you make those brackets for the porch. Did you make the post and beam M&T first (the right angled one), then makes the braces with the tenons, offer the braces up to the post and beam and mark where mortices need to be?

Mike G wrote:Image

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Cross Braces - Q for Mike G

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 14:43

I think I probably made a template of the brace, Andy. I'd have actually made the post and beam joint first, as you said, and put the two together, then offered the template up to mark for the two mortices that take the brace. Once all the individual joints are made and trial fitted, then obviously there is only one way the puzzle can be assembled.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2018, 15:35

Thanks Mike.

I envisage making all the braces, a job I can do piece meal, before I start on the posts and beams. letting the braces in like that though is causing a brain overload.
If I offer the brace tenon up to where I want the mortice to be and mark it out, cut the mortice and then the extra recess the brace will then need to be longer by the depth of that recess. Hope that makes sense.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 16:14

Sounds right to me, Andy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2018, 16:41

In other words my braces will be too short, surely, by the depth of that recess.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 17:02

Lay out the post and beam with the joint tight together, horizontal. Decide on the depth of that housing.....let's say 10mm for example...........and mark that 10mm parallel to the faces of the post and beam, at the mortice locations. These then become the lines against which you mark out the mortices for the brace. Almost as though the actual face of the post and beam weren't there.

It's easier with a template, because if you are trying to transfer a tenon down onto a post or beam like this, it will be hovering in the air above the face you are trying to mark (by the depth of the shoulder).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Nov 2018, 19:48

Brilliant Mike, thanks so much for that I’ve got it now. Marking the depth of the mortice recess on the side is the key bit I was missing. I will have either 4 or 8 braces to fit depending on final design approval.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to General Woodworking