It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:02

Roller stands. What do you use?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Roller stands. What do you use?

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 09:07

Any recommendations for roller/roller ball stands? Have you made your own? How?

Roller balls appear to be more versatile.

I want at least one to support long lengths on the Kapex.
I could just buy a systainer but I dont like working on the floor and there is insufficient space on the bench.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Roller stands. What do you use?

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Mar 2019, 09:15

How about a mitre saw stand? Most come with roller extensions.

I have one for mine, though in the shop it sits in a station with table support either side.

I have a roller stand I use with the PT which is a bit of a pain TBH if it's not perfectly inline with stock, so I'd be inclined to agree with a 'ball' type being more effective for any skewed contact - iykwim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Mar 2019, 09:20

... If space is a premium how about a flip up table ext?...Image

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Mar 2019, 09:31

Rollers are a PITA especially if you have moving timber as on a planer or a thicknesser. Not too bad if they are stationery as in use with the Kapex. Trouble is the tops usually slop about, are never level. You can accidentally knock the feet and not realise which then affects the height.

I'd go for a roller rather than balls.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Mar 2019, 10:52

What is the longest you are like to want to cut, Andy?

I had to ask that when deciding where to mount my Kapex. Most of cutting has been quite short lengths, but I have built my Kapex station to be the same height as my work bench. This allows me to cut up to about 1.8m with about 1.0m cut-off (or cut up to 1.0m from the RH side)

In fact all of my cabinets, the Kapex station, and the workbench are all the same height as the table saw and all on casters. That way I can use any combination anywhere in the workshop if I have to cut longer lengths,
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Mar 2019, 11:29

Andy, I'm intrigued why you've gone down the chop saw road? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 13:42

Woodbloke wrote:Andy, I'm intrigued why you've gone down the chop saw road? - Rob

Retail therapy in a moment of weakness. :oops:
The little I have done with it so far has shown it is far easier than TS for cross cutting. Angled cuts are a breeze and very accurate. I probably could have done with the blade tilt, but you never know.
I have a wooden floor and skirtings to lay as soon and my eldest provides us with a spare bedroom.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 13:43

RogerS wrote:I'd go for a roller rather than balls.

Why Roger?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 13:45

Malc2098 wrote:What is the longest you are like to want to cut, Andy?

2m. Might sound daft but I reckon the Kapex but be the best way of accurately cutting tenon cheeks on the end of 2m lengths.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Mar 2019, 14:07

Andy, well worth getting a z60 tooth (neg,alt bevel) blade for the KS60, I found the standard kit blade pulled stock and wandered on compound and angle cuts due to its lack of nashers... Great for quick less accurate work in softwood though.

I put a 3rd party blade in mine, if you'd like details I'll PM a link.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Mar 2019, 15:15

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:What is the longest you are like to want to cut, Andy?

2m. Might sound daft but I reckon the Kapex but be the best way of accurately cutting tenon cheeks on the end of 2m lengths.

Yes, you're probably right. I'd need a high ceiling to do that with my tenoning jig!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Moteyi » 06 Mar 2019, 16:38

Andyp wrote:Any recommendations for roller/roller ball stands? Have you made your own? How?

I could just buy a systainer but I dont like working on the floor and there is insufficient space on the bench.

I can't really see why you would need any kind of roller for use with the kapex. Rollers are only really any use for supporting long lengths on machines like planer thicknessers or on the outfeed of a table saw or spindle where the material is moving, and even then they are a monumental (roller) ball ache. For the kapex you just need a support that is level with the bed of the saw and if the saw is fixed then perhaps some form of fence to keep material square to the blade - or am I missing something?
Moteyi
Seedling

Name: Steve

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Mar 2019, 17:05

Andyp wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:Andy, I'm intrigued why you've gone down the chop saw road? - Rob

The little I have done with it so far has shown it is far easier than TS for cross cutting. Angled cuts are a breeze and very accurate. I probably could have done with the blade tilt, but you never know.
I have a wooden floor and skirtings to lay as soon and my eldest provides us with a spare bedroom.

:lol: That makes sense but the Kapex is a pretty spendiferous way to lay a floor and bang a bit of skirting up on the walls - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 19:34

Moteyi wrote:
Andyp wrote:Any recommendations for roller/roller ball stands? Have you made your own? How?

I can't really see why you would need any kind of roller for use with the kapex. Rollers are only really any use for supporting long lengths on machines like planer thicknessers or on the outfeed of a table saw or spindle where the material is moving, and even then they are a monumental (roller) ball ache. For the kapex you just need a support that is level with the bed of the saw and if the saw is fixed then perhaps some form of fence to keep material square to the blade - or am I missing something?

Steve, you are right. After reflection I have started to make a fold up wing. Laminated some ply to get the right thickness. I post details when done....

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 19:36

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:

:lol: That makes sense but the Kapex is a pretty spendiferous way to lay a floor and bang a bit of skirting up on the walls - Rob

I know that, you know that, but keep your voice down. ;) ;) :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 Mar 2019, 19:37

Jimmy Mack wrote:Andy, well worth getting a z60 tooth (neg,alt bevel) blade for the KS60, I found the standard kit blade pulled stock and wandered on compound and angle cuts due to its lack of nashers... Great for quick less accurate work in softwood though.

I put a 3rd party blade in mine, if you'd like details I'll PM a link.

Yes please

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 06 Mar 2019, 23:42

I have a couple of wobbly roller stands. If something is too long for the bench I'll use them. They had the option to use ball floats or roller. never got on with the balls so cut the bar off.

My SCMS is above bench level so the extra support consists of whatever wood scrap + ply spacers are to hand and are just piled on the bench. Never been a problem.

I also have a thick aluminium strip that bolts to the saw base and can have stops clamped to it. I wanted a connection between saw body and stop so the setting stayed reliable... and it is.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 07 Mar 2019, 07:28

Interesting Robert. I have been toying with the idea, not original, of using flips stops in T-track on top of the fence that I will attach to my folding wing.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 07 Mar 2019, 08:34

Robert wrote:
My SCMS is above bench level so the extra support consists of whatever wood scrap + ply spacers are to hand and are just piled on the bench. Never been a problem.

I’ve found this the most useful thing to do, having the saws bed level with adjacent work surfaces means they have to be clear to use the saw.
My workbench is the chop saw timber support & I have a piece of timber cut to the exact height of the saw bed so it’s just a matter of making room for this block of wood to be able to use the chopsaw. The added benefit of this is it isn’t always ideal to have timber supported its full length particularly sawn timber.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 09 Mar 2019, 12:25

I use these
First one I bought from the tip for a £5er and it was that good I bought another from toolstation- around £30 I think. A bit of 9x2 with some left over round handrail(waxed up) The other is ramped up to help guide the wood up over. They have such wide footprint I've never tipped one over yet. Prior to those I thought I'd found the holy grail-
Extendable rollers that I think came from an airport. They were a huge disappointment!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 09 Mar 2019, 13:58

I’ve needed a stand for the odd job for a while now but been put off by the usual offerings. That Triton stand however looks great. You’ve just cost me £30.00 Coley! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 09 Mar 2019, 14:05

Woodster wrote:I’ve needed a stand for the odd job for a while now but been put off by the usual offerings. That Triton stand however looks great. You’ve just cost me £30.00 Coley!
hopefully you won't be disappointed. The round handrail and 9x2 was necessary to get it high enough for the machines. The extra rampy angled bit made what use to be double handed work easy enough to do on your own.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Mar 2019, 15:13

They look very stable
Mine are next to useless and very easy to topple over

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2019, 17:07

Coley wrote:I use these

They look practical. I have not seen those before and give me an idea.
I am making a folding wing for the saw cabinet but that wing is restricted to the height of said cabinet, about 90cm. So I if I do want to cut tenons on a 2.4m length it will topple unless clamped.
With those Triton stands I could make a much longer extension, clamp one end in the stand and hook the other on the side of cabinet. :eusa-think:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 10 Mar 2019, 12:25

Woodster wrote:I’ve needed a stand for the odd job for a while now but been put off by the usual offerings. That Triton stand however looks great. You’ve just cost me £30.00 Coley! :lol:

A couple of bob cheaper over here on Amazon only €30.99.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to General Woodworking