It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:25

Your favourite woodworking books

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Your favourite woodworking books

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Sep 2014, 08:26

All

Everyone has been so helpful on TWH2 to a complete newbie I thought I'd throw out another question.

The Internet is a wonderful place to learn about a new area of interest and I have been consuming many hours of wood whisperer et al, but I'm still a sucker for a book, there's something about it - maybe it's my age! I've been to the library and emptied the woodworking section, all of five books, but I'm not sure they are the best books money can buy.

So my question is, what are your favourite woodworking books? Could be instructional manual type things or big coffee table tome, or anything in between.

Thanks in advance.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Your favourite woodworking books

Postby Andyp » 07 Sep 2014, 08:56

My first woodworking book was The Mitchell Beazley Encyclopaedia of Working in Wood. A basic guide to all the tools and techniques required for woodwork. A bit dated perhaps now.
A must have for hand planing is Planecraft, Hand Planing by Modern Methods. My copy (dated 1934) is a hand me down from my grandfather.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Sep 2014, 10:44

Here's a few to be getting on with. All the Krenov books, Alan Peters book 'Cabinet Making, the Professional Approach, Robert Ingham's 'Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking', Joyce's 'The Techniques of Furniture Making' and my latest is Schwarz's 'The Anarchist's Tool Chest'…which will have you sniggering :lol: all through it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mikefab » 07 Sep 2014, 12:51

I've recently picked up second hand copies of Charles Hayward's "tools for woodworking" and "woodworking joints". Quite impressed with both of them for handwork (they basically predate people having access to much machinery). The tools book is like a 70 year old version of the anarchists tool chest which I have also enjoyed.

Mike
mikefab
Seedling

Name:

Postby Fromey » 08 Sep 2014, 10:00

If you're a newbie (I still consider myself as one) then you should get The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing.
Fromey
Seedling

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Sep 2014, 13:26

I like Roy Underhill's "Woodwright's Shop" books for hand tool work. I think I have 5 of them.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Peter Sefton » 11 Sep 2014, 21:01

Woodbloke wrote:Here's a few to be getting on with. All the Krenov books, Alan Peters book 'Cabinet Making, the Professional Approach, Robert Ingham's 'Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking', Joyce's 'The Techniques of Furniture Making' and my latest is Schwarz's 'The Anarchist's Tool Chest'…which will have you sniggering :lol: all through it - Rob

Rob I have to agree with you, although I have not read Chris' book.
Peter Sefton

Practice makes perfect - but a good tip from one who knows saves timber, time and tools

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk
Peter Sefton
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Sep 2014, 21:27

Peter Sefton wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:Here's a few to be getting on with. All the Krenov books, Alan Peters book 'Cabinet Making, the Professional Approach, Robert Ingham's 'Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking', Joyce's 'The Techniques of Furniture Making' and my latest is Schwarz's 'The Anarchist's Tool Chest'…which will have you sniggering :lol: all through it - Rob

Rob I have to agree with you, although I have not read Chris' book.

Peter, you may not agree with all that's in the Schwarz tome (I didn't), but it's certainly food for thought and a hugely entertaining read….you'll be giggling all the way through - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 Sep 2014, 08:42

All, many thanks for the suggestions. Amazon order about to be placed, those that don't make it onto the first order will be heading to my Christmas Present list!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Return to General Woodworking