It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:32

Dust extraction exaust

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Dust extraction exaust

Postby Dalboy » 12 Sep 2014, 17:03

Reading Mike G's post on wanting a dust extractor and not wishing to hi-jack his thread, the topic got around to having the extractor in a separate building attached to the main shed and that it would draw the warm air out in the colder winter months. So I have a question can you not redirect the exaust back into the shed through something like the Filters in the workshop air filters therefore all the warm air is redirected back into the workshop
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Dust extraction exaust

Postby Mike G » 12 Sep 2014, 17:24

Thinking on.....

If people don't filter the exhaust currently, and just allow it to blow into the air in their workshop, why would there be any need to filter it if it is blown back into the room simply because the machine has been sited outside? It will contain the same amount of dust in both circumstances.

The only real reason for putting a machine outside would be because of the noise (and the space, too, I guess). Most of the noise comes from the exhaust. So the main advantage of putting it outside would be lost, wouldn't it, if the exhaust was directed inside?

I stress that I am only theorising, having no experience of a ducted system, or an external extractor.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Sep 2014, 18:09

Mike G wrote:.... Most of the noise comes from the exhaust. ....

That's not true, Mike. Both my extractors, the noise comes from the motors. A more muted hum from the induction motor on the chip extractor and the banshee wail from the twin (brushed) motors in the Camvac.

I wear ear defenders but because of the noise created by the actual machines - P/T etc cutting the wood - so the noise of the extractors is also, by default, lowered.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Hudson Carpentry » 12 Sep 2014, 19:25

The hum from a extraction can be loud but thats more at the unit where there the fan is spinning. I can hold full conversations with them on though, well just. Its only when timber starts being cut does any noise happen that I need ear defenders for. The noise at the end of a pipe is very minimal. As the dx is generally only on when a machine is in use is the noise from it really an issue?
Hudson Carpentry
New Shoots

Name: Alan

Postby Robert » 12 Sep 2014, 20:43

....you have to add £200 odd to the cost for hepa filtration (or do you?) if you use what they sell for it.
Not that much for mine. I get a filter from RB Industrial for less than half that figure.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Return to General Woodworking