It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:12

Storing wood slabs to dry

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Storing wood slabs to dry

Postby woodstalker » 20 Aug 2019, 21:05

So I am now home after being away with work and the Beech tree in the garden has been felled and milled into these four big slabs which i have man handled up off the lawn where they have been sat for the last two weeks, up to the patio.

IMG_9513.JPG
on the lawn
(824.55 KiB)

IMG_9514.JPG
on the patio
(595.03 KiB)

I was hoping someone could tell me how to stack them with the spacer bits of wood and how far apart I will need the spacers? I will obviously cover them with a tarpaulin but i am assuming i will need to leave an air gap to allow air flow around the wood to dry them out? I will shift them to a new spot tomorrow, once I've got my strength back :D

They are about ten feet long and two inches thick.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Storing wood slabs to dry

Postby RogerS » 20 Aug 2019, 21:44

woodstalker wrote:....I will shift them to a new spot tomorrow, once I've got my strength back :D

They are about ten feet long and two inches thick.

Wimp :D

Can't you stick them inside your garage ? I'd sticker them a couple of feet apart, some paint on the ends. If you can't keep them in your garage, keep any cover away from the top surface.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby marineboy » 21 Aug 2019, 07:24

When I saw the first photo I thought why on earth is he hanging them on a hedge?
marineboy
Seedling

Name: Nick

Postby Mike G » 21 Aug 2019, 07:42

So long as the sticks are placed roughly above each other, and so long as you use three at each level, you should be fine. Paint the end grain, but I don't understand Roger's suggestion of "a couple of feet apart". The important thing about "stickering" a pile of timber is that air circulates whilst the weight of the pile holds everything flat. If they are left to dry without a weight on them, they'll curl up, and maybe twist. The top board is still vulnerable to this unless you put on some additional weight, so you do see wood piles with blocks stacked on top, or pieces of concrete.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Aug 2019, 08:59

Mike G wrote:So long as the sticks are placed roughly above each other, and so long as you use three at each level, you should be fine. Paint the end grain, but I don't understand Roger's suggestion of "a couple of feet apart". The important thing about "stickering" a pile of timber is that air circulates whilst the weight of the pile holds everything flat. If they are left to dry without a weight on them, they'll curl up, and maybe twist. The top board is still vulnerable to this unless you put on some additional weight, so you do see wood piles with blocks stacked on top, or pieces of concrete.

Roger is suggesting the stickers be placed every couple of feet apart long the length of the boards, with one board atop the other.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2019, 09:30

TrimTheKing wrote:
Mike G wrote:So long as the sticks are placed roughly above each other, and so long as you use three at each level, you should be fine. Paint the end grain, but I don't understand Roger's suggestion of "a couple of feet apart". The important thing about "stickering" a pile of timber is that air circulates whilst the weight of the pile holds everything flat. If they are left to dry without a weight on them, they'll curl up, and maybe twist. The top board is still vulnerable to this unless you put on some additional weight, so you do see wood piles with blocks stacked on top, or pieces of concrete.

Roger is suggesting the stickers be placed every couple of feet apart long the length of the boards, with one board atop the other.

Spot on.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Aug 2019, 10:06

It was early!

In which case, we are in complete agreement.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Aug 2019, 10:10

Thanks everyone, i can't fit them in my garage because that is my workshop! I will stack them up as suggested and weight the top board and also cover in a tarp but do it in such a way as to allow air to circulate.

What should i paint the ends with?

I also have a massive pile of big beech logs which seems a shame to chop for the wood burner, i would try resewing them into smaller slabs but my Elu Bandsaw is certainly not up to the job. Anyone got any suggestions how i could make use of them?
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Aug 2019, 10:31

woodstalker wrote:Thanks everyone, i can't fit them in my garage because that is my workshop! I will stack them up as suggested and weight the top board and also cover in a tarp but do it in such a way as to allow air to circulate.

I also have a massive pile of big beech logs which seems a shame to chop for the wood burner, i would try resewing them into smaller slabs but my Elu Bandsaw is certainly not up to the job. Anyone got any suggestions how i could make use of them?

I wouldn’t paint the ends.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2019, 10:50

TrimTheKing wrote:
woodstalker wrote:Thanks everyone, i can't fit them in my garage because that is my workshop! I will stack them up as suggested and weight the top board and also cover in a tarp but do it in such a way as to allow air to circulate.

I thought that that was best-practice ?

Here's everything you wanted to know about drying timber

https://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads/files/AboutTheChilterns/Woodlands/Air_Drying_of_Timber.pdf
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Aug 2019, 11:11

They look gorgeous. Good luck with the drying.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 21 Aug 2019, 13:19

woodstalker wrote:...... I will...cover in a tarp but do it in such a way as to allow air to circulate............

Be really careful with this. I spalted some timber many years ago, accidentally, by doing this. At the very least make a frame to support the tarp feet above the stack, and remember that it will have to survive wind and snow-loads.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Aug 2019, 19:50

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

I thought that that was best-practice ?

Here's everything you wanted to know about drying timber

https://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads/files/AboutTheChilterns/Woodlands/Air_Drying_of_Timber.pdf

Thanks Roger, that is a really useful document.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Aug 2019, 19:53

Mike G wrote:
woodstalker wrote:...... I will...cover in a tarp but do it in such a way as to allow air to circulate............

Be really careful with this. I spalted some timber many years ago, accidentally, by doing this. At the very least make a frame to support the tarp feet above the stack, and remember that it will have to survive wind and snow-loads.

Mike, having read the guide that Roger posted i will stack them, weight or strap them and then put some more stickers on top with a sheet material on and the sides open. I'll cut the ends square and paint with some of the recommended sealer. It looks like beech is the worst for splitting and distorting but if it works I'll have some nice wood from the garden to make something from. Better get practising so that I can get my skills up in time.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Aug 2019, 15:21

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

Spot on.

:text-+1:

Mike suggested to me some time ago that I allow plenty of air to circulate through the stack, so even though it's covered with a large tarp, there's about 300mm or so between the top board and the tarp. I paint the ends with old glue...seems to work. The main issue I think is to keep strong sunlight off the boards which can cause all sorts of problems (surface 'checking', wet timber getting too warm too quickly etc). I'm not sure about the heavy weights thing as yards that I've visited don't put weights on top and most timber seems to be fine. Paul Goulden, just north of Andover puts a bit of corrugated tin roof over his timber and it's all superb stuff - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Aug 2019, 15:32

woodstalker wrote:

That depends on what gear you have to convert them. I have an innate fear of chainsaws so when I was offered some English Walnut chunks at the beginning of June I had to invest in one or three new bits of equipment to convert them into useable sizes for the lathe, so a bought a large Ray Isles froe (surprisingly accurate if you have a bit of wood with more or less straight grain) a decent Japanese hand axe and a wicked 300mm green wood saw, all from Workshop Heaven.
Once the timber was split, they were rough turned on the lathe, given a severe coat of glue (outside only) and placed under the tarp on my air drying stack of timber - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 23 Aug 2019, 21:07

Ends trimmed and painted with old glue. Stacked out of direct sunlight. Need to find some wriggly tin or something to cover the top of the stack now.

2E4E5620-A8AE-4D90-8E36-868CB957F90D.jpeg
(397.52 KiB)
Last edited by Andyp on 24 Aug 2019, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image rotated
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 23 Aug 2019, 21:07

Can’t rotate pictures sorry.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Aug 2019, 09:07

Sent you a PM a couple of days ago..still unopened - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2019, 10:03

woodstalker wrote:Can’t rotate pictures sorry.

Which device are your photos on? Something apple related maybe?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby woodstalker » 24 Aug 2019, 16:24

9fingers wrote:

Bob

You guessed it, I know there’s a solution on here but I posted in a hurry as I’ve gone to visit my parents for the weekend.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Aug 2019, 16:27

Here you go

**Photos taken on Apple devices have an annoying habit of not rotating properly when viewed on non apple platforms.
For best results take all your photos in landscape view with the volume control button at the bottom of the camera. If you have photos that have been taken in other orientations, then try bringing them into iPhoto and uploading them to the forum from there.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 24 Aug 2019, 16:29

Andyp wrote:Here you go

**Photos taken on Apple devices have an annoying habit of not rotating properly when viewed on non apple platforms.
For best results take all your photos in landscape view with the volume control button at the bottom of the camera. If you have photos that have been taken in other orientations, then try bringing them into iPhoto and uploading them to the forum from there.

Cheers Andy. Normally post off my laptop but working from my mobile currently.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 24 Aug 2019, 16:30

Woodbloke wrote:Sent you a PM a couple of days ago..still unopened - Rob

Sorry Rob, I’ve replied now, normal notifications don’t seem to be working at the moment for me.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2019, 16:32

woodstalker wrote:
9fingers wrote:

Bob

You guessed it, I know there’s a solution on here but I posted in a hurry as I’ve gone to visit my parents for the weekend.

The apple picture file format is a PITA.
The easiest fix is to open Photos on an apple device, select the errant photo and use edit/rotate and rotate 90 anti clockwise until fixed then hit Done.
For future pics just keep the volume buttons on the device pointing to the ground.
HTH
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Next

Return to General Woodworking