It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:41

Blunt Bits

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Blunt Bits

Postby Andyp » 03 Nov 2019, 13:30

Managed a couple of hours in the workshop this morning for the first time in weeks. I had to drill a few 35mm holes and struggled along for about half an hour with smoke rising from the holes before the thought occurred to me to touch up the edges with a slipstone. What a difference. No smoke, shavings rather than sawdust and a hole drilled in half the time.

Am I the only one?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Blunt Bits

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2019, 15:33

Andyp wrote:Managed a couple of hours in the workshop this morning for the first time in weeks. I had to drill a few 35mm holes and struggled along for about half an hour with smoke rising from the holes before the thought occurred to me to touch up the edges with a slipstone. What a difference. No smoke, shavings rather than sawdust and a hole drilled in half the time.

Am I the only one?

Possibly not alone!
The characteristics of the waste is the first clue. Very few cutting processes I can think of from sharpenable tools should produce dust.
Smoke is a real alarm call as the tool is near to losing its temper and without heat treatment will never hold an edge again.
Better late than never eh Andy?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 03 Nov 2019, 18:58

I had to drill several 40mm holes but a Famag forstner from WH cut the hardwood timber with ease.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 03 Nov 2019, 20:01

9fingers wrote:
Andyp wrote:Managed a couple of hours in the workshop this morning for the first time in weeks. I had to drill a few 35mm holes and struggled along for about half an hour with smoke rising from the holes before the thought occurred to me to touch up the edges with a slipstone. What a difference. No smoke, shavings rather than sawdust and a hole drilled in half the time.

Am I the only one?

Possibly not alone!
The characteristics of the waste is the first clue. Very few cutting processes I can think of from sharpenable tools should produce dust.
Smoke is a real alarm call as the tool is near to losing its temper and without heat treatment will never hold an edge again.
Better late than never eh Andy?

Bob

Indeed Bob. I did two holes after about 30 seconds of honing so no permanent damage.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 03 Nov 2019, 20:03

Rod wrote:I had to drill several 40mm holes but a Famag forstner from WH cut the hardwood timber with ease.

Rod

I dunno the brand Rod but I guess even the edges of a Famag will become blunt over time. I have had it for some years and most recently used on lignum vitae.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 04 Nov 2019, 00:40

Quite evil looking brutes:

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 04 Nov 2019, 21:05

Some Forstner bits aren’t made of very hard steel, I’ve successfully sharpened some with a file in the past.
I’ve also found even the cheap carbide tipped ones cut very nicely.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking