It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:22

Which clamps?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Which clamps?

Postby MattS » 13 Nov 2019, 15:27

I’ve tried the search, couldn’t find a lot hope this isn’t an annoying question! I know it’s probably personal preference but I am not sure what style clamps to get. Have lots of cabinet type projects coming up in our house, alcove, kitchen units etc and currently have 4 smallish quick clamps, 1 aluminium sash clamp and 1 steel sash clamp!

So I need more and Christmas is coming up.... but I have very little experience with other types. I am considering the F type clamps which you can get in multi packs quite cheaply for smaller items and then more aluminium clamps beefed up as per Paul Sellers approach. Only thing is that I broke the head of an aluminium sash clamp recently (taking me down to 1) and whilst I am after budget items don’t want to waste my money!

I’ve also seen Aldi have clamps coming up but my only experience of quick clamps are Wolfcraft ones - anyone used Aldi ones?

Hoping for some guidance.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Which clamps?

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Nov 2019, 15:33

I have always found Rutlands to be fairly good value, and they sell their clamps in sets.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+clamps
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 13 Nov 2019, 16:40

I like the wolfcraft single handed trigger clamps with a few sash crampsfor bigger beefier work. The screw f cramps can be good too but are not really single handed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 13 Nov 2019, 17:50

I bought some Aldi clamps last time they had them. They are 2x small and 2x very small or 2 x medium to a pack. For £5 they are not bad though the tiny ones are useless. The yellow face pads on all sizes come off easily when struggling to hold something awkward. Handy as extra clamps for light duty but not ones you'd reach for first.

I have a 4 pack set of the 1500mm Rutlands parallel jaw clamps that get used all the time. Mine are an earlier design with green fittings but otherwise similar to the current ones. Guess they were on offer when I got mine as they were £79 (back in 2011). I have the same thing made by Bessey that are my first choice large clamps but they are only 1m. Both the Rutlands and the Bessey are really strong and can apply lots of pressure.

I do have some sash clamps as well but can't remember the last time I used them.

Guess it depends on the size of items you plan on making.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby chataigner » 13 Nov 2019, 19:22

I agree with Andy, a few good quality true single handed clamps are very very useful. As far as I can see, only Wolfcraft make them now, others look similar, but on the copies you have to pull the release lever, not squeeze it which is impossible single handed.
After that, and for jobs where more force is needed, I go for F screw clamps in a variety of sizes and makes.
For really long jobs I have six 2m sash clamps that came from Rutlands - not perhaps the highest quality, but adequate.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 13 Nov 2019, 21:52

This is the only type of one handed clamp that works well:

https://www.its.co.uk/pd/SOL100-Solo-One-Handed-Clamp-100mm-_SOL100.htm

Those bar versions of one-handed clamps with all their plastic parts don't last any time, and don't exert any great clamping pressure. A couple of solo clamps, a fistful of a F clamps in various sizes, and a few sash clamps..that's your starting point.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Logger » 13 Nov 2019, 22:13

I use irwin clamps around my workshop lots of small jobs.

I too, have Rutland (green) parallel clamps which are good. I have built up to decent collection of record sash clamps which for bigger jobs i like.

Like i said, for up to 36 inches, irwin quick clamps are my go to clamps.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Logger
Seedling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 13 Nov 2019, 23:01

Mike G is right that the one hand clamps dont exert a huge pressure, but I dont agree that they dont last. I use mine almost every day and have had them at least 10 yrs.
For real heavy structural stuff they are not powerful enough, but for everyday use I would not be without them. Proper one handed operation giving not only controlled progressive closing but also controlled progressive opening with one hand makes them invaluable.

These are the ones I mean : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-3023 ... 5Y38JG3D4Y
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 13 Nov 2019, 23:12

I've also just looked at Rutlands sash clamps on line and they dont look even slightly like mine, perhaps my memory is failing and they didnt come from there... It was several years ago.

The ones I have look like the Axminster T bar jobs. These : https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... p-ax945576
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 13 Nov 2019, 23:24

chataigner wrote:I've also just looked at Rutlands sash clamps on line and they dont look even slightly like mine, perhaps my memory is failing and they didnt come from there... It was several years ago.

The ones I have look like the Axminster T bar jobs. These : https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... p-ax945576

Yup..I've got those...brilliant. You can also bolt two together to get a longer reach.

I've also got Axminster's equivalent of your Wolfcraft. Agree they don't exert a lot of pressure but the pads do grip well where others (such as Mike's orange one) will struggle. The downside was that I found those pads leeching into whatever wood they were clamped to...hardwood especially.

I also have many of Mike's orange jobbies and am very happy with them as well.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MattS » 14 Nov 2019, 09:52

Wow thanks for all the advice and suggestions - I will look at all the clamps suggested and let you know what I decide upon!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Nov 2019, 19:43

At a risk of being shot down why does one need the type of excessive clamping pressure a solid bar clamp will provide.Horses for courses of course but if a joint, for example is made correctly it shouldn't need a lot of clamping pressure to hold it in place while the glue dries.

There are times of course where a solid bar clamp is necessary, for example the two halves of my recent yin yang bowl but for the most part those wolfcraft clamps are sufficient, for me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 14 Nov 2019, 20:15

Often because of bowed or cupped wood. Often because glues these days turn a perfectly made joint into an over-tight one during glue up. And gluing up a table top or similar some people do a sort-of sprung joint, deliberately leaving a small gap at each end so that when it's clamped at the ends the middle also pulls up tight. Sometimes, there are multiple joints all being pulled together at once, and so add the tacky glue thing (above) to multiple lots of friction from the multiple joints and you could well need to persuade the thing to co-operate rather more forcefully than you might want to.

Having said all that, the initial extra force isn't usually necessary once everything is together and sitting nicely, except in the case of bowed or cupped wood, and a sprung edge joint, so the clamps can be backed off a tad.

I'd just add that with traditional oak framing you sometimes need an awful lot of force. Joints in, say, 6" square bits of wet oak have huge amounts of friction involved.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Which clamps?

Postby Rod » 14 Nov 2019, 20:17

You need some big and strong clamps to glue up stuff like this

I’ve got some original Record clamps, Axminster clones, Pony Clamps, Bessey clamps of various sizes and types, some Irwins plus several others.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Logger » 14 Nov 2019, 20:56

I have had that problem where joints become a problem during glue up when they were perfect during the dry fit. Had some 5 inch through tenons on an oak door and needed the force from sash clamps to have any chance at all of success.

I also think using sash clamps gives me more confidence all is well when gluing sonething together. It's those last few turns as it all pulls tight that make you happy it is all as it should be.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Logger
Seedling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 14 Nov 2019, 21:23

"This is the only type of one handed clamp that works well:"

https://www.its.co.uk/pd/SOL100-Solo-On ... SOL100.htm

Totally agree. I have about 12. With inventive temporary wooden extension bars, I can almost emulate a sash cramp, just long enough to get glue to set on wide pieces. Saves a ton of room in a small workshop, not having them honkin' great sash cramps to house, feed and water.

Funnily though, one Custard of this borough won't have 'em at all, ses 'they slip'...cor! :o

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby stu » 15 Nov 2019, 17:57

Mike G wrote:...... And gluing up a table top or similar some people do a sort-of sprung joint, deliberately leaving a small gap at each end so that when it's clamped at the ends the middle also pulls up tight.

Never heard of a sprung joint that way. Leaving a gap in the middle so that any shrinking is less likely to cause splits maybe?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Which clamps?

Postby Rod » 15 Nov 2019, 21:54

stu wrote:
Mike G wrote:...... And gluing up a table top or similar some people do a sort-of sprung joint, deliberately leaving a small gap at each end so that when it's clamped at the ends the middle also pulls up tight.

David Charlesworth used to recommend stop planing the edges to form a slight dip in the
centre which kept everything tight when clamped up.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Nov 2019, 23:34

Interesting...I have a bunch of Dakota (green headed) parallel clamps from Rutlands and most of them are failing (10 years old) at the screw mechanism, I need to take them apart to see what's going on, but it's a bit like they're binding or racking at the mechanism.

I'm looking at getting rid to be honest and picking up some good quality Record sash clamps or some more Besseys to go with my UK60 clamps; they're great for cabinet work, really light too. But Bessey are pricey and clamps are a boring purchase ... But it's pointless buying cheap... As we all know.

I've used various pipe clamps at other shops in the past and these are great for unusual lengths and really turning up the pressure.

Jim

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 15 Nov 2019, 23:35

Ps... You could make some Luthier clamps

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 16 Nov 2019, 07:28

Yep you can't go wrong with record sash clamps.....mine are approximately 35 years old.....every few years I give them a wax up to keep them sliding well and stops them rusting.

Also got a bunch of Mike's solo clamps.....only ever managed to break one and they have had years of serious abuse.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 02 Dec 2019, 12:28

I'll try some of those Solo jobs. I have 4 Bessey DuoKlamps which I picked up as a special offer at one of the shows, and whilst they were initially very good, they now stick and are no longer single-handed which defeats their purpose. They need to have some load on them before the ratchet mechanism works, so I would not recommend.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Dec 2019, 12:31

Jonathan wrote:Yep you can't go wrong with record sash clamps.....mine are approximately 35 years old.....every few years I give them a wax up to keep them sliding well and stops them rusting.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Same here; I've had my Record sash cramps since the 70's and have topped them up with others bought from second hand tool shops over the years. My fave cramps for smaller stuff are a pair of hideously expensive, long reach, orange Carver clamps which are normally reserved for welding, but they are completely indestructible - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking