It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:08

Breather port on extraction system - Camvac & Cyclone

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Breather port on extraction system - Camvac & Cyclone

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 16:08

I got my cyclone home last night and I will be gluing it together one evening when I have an extra pair of hands.
Have contacted James at Cyclone Central and one of his customers who also has a Camvac and cyclone combination my thoughts have turned to fitting a breather port instead of or as well as a pressure release valve. Necessary in case a blockage putting potentially excessive pressue on the cyclone.

My initial plan was just to fit a Y piece into my 100mm soil pipe and leave it open.

When I talked this through, with Bob when he was here last week, he came up with an idea to regulate the size of the breather port by fitting a sleeve with a hole in over the soil pipe with a similar sized hole. By rotating the sleeve the hole size (breather port) can be adjusted as required.

Has anyone tried this?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Breather port on extraction system - Camvac & Cyclone

Postby TheTiddles » 28 Sep 2014, 19:13

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Name: Aidan

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2014, 20:01

TheTiddles wrote:Please forgive the ignorance... What's the purpose of a breather other than to waste some flow rate? I do see the purpose of an over-pressure valve, though from my perspective, if it can't take the maximum pressure then it's poorly designed, however making it light and protected with a relief valve is one approach if you're weight constrained like on a mobile setup.

Aidan

It has been shown that these cyclones will collapse and shatter if HPLV extactor is used and there is a blockage on the inlet.
Chems used to sell a vacuum relief valve but no longer supplies this extra and DIY solutions are needed instead.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TheTiddles » 28 Sep 2014, 20:38

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2014, 20:50

TheTiddles wrote:Ribs on the frustro-conical section? You can buy relief valves but maybe not cheaply for the flow rate desired. Making your own has got to be better than introducing a great big leak surely?

Aidan

I agree. The problem and solution are here http://www.cyclonecentral.co.uk/PressureProtection/

However when Andy asked me the question it was solely about a breather and I advised on a method of controlling the size of the aperture.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 29 Sep 2014, 07:29

I have the magnets and I will be making my own pressure valve.
James (Chems) at cyclone central mentions that if the pressure valve is constantly activating "then you need to ensure that you are supplying enough air to your extractor. This can be done by opening a breather port somewhere in your extraction system. It will not affect the amount of dust your extractor will pick up, it will just ensure it is running efficiently."

Having thought this through still more I realise that any breather port needs to be closer to the cyclone than any likely blockage point.

I'll be attempting to make the pressure relief valve today and will test this before I start adding a breather port.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Newbie_Neil » 29 Sep 2014, 12:44

Hi Andy,

It might be worth while having a look a look at Peter Parfitt's pressure relief valve video.
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby TheTiddles » 30 Sep 2014, 17:04

Deleted
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Return to General Woodworking