It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:47

Grain/Pore Filling

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Grain/Pore Filling

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Jul 2020, 09:01

Has anyone used CA glue for grain or pore filling?

What would your choice of grain filler be?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Grain/Pore Filling

Postby Robert » 20 Jul 2020, 09:30

Best result I've ever had is on the desk surface I'm sitting at now. I covered it with glass fibre resin then sanded it back before varnishing. Surface is almost glassy smooth but still has a slight texture to the touch so not plastic like.

Resin is sticky stuff to sand and I got through a few discs but the result seems worth it. Needs putting on as thin as possible. I now use a plastic scraper so none is left puddling on the surface. If you go the same way then try a test piece first.

As to CA glue I only use it a mitre adhesive. It never works for me as crack stabiliser so it would never occur to me to try it as a pore filler.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 20 Jul 2020, 10:49

I like Fiddes. I do have a very large tin ...can find out the colour after if you want. No idea if it's still OK but if it is then you're very welcome to a decanted tub to play around with.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodhutt » 23 Jul 2020, 18:47

G'day Malcolm, new bloke here.
I've only ever used CA glue to repair small cracks/splits (very successful) but never as an all over sealer. I would comment tho' that any choice of sealer is surely dependent on the intended finish(?).
My favourite pre-stain or pre-finish option is a 1lb cut of de-waxed shellac as a grain filler. Multiple coats with sanding between then a non-alcohol based stain (if needed) and water-based or poly finish as required.
Pete
woodhutt
Seedling

Name: Pete

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2020, 19:28

Cheers, Chaps. I wasn't intending to cover the whole guitar with CA, but I was thinking about the headstock veneer. It gets a bit knocked about in use, well it does when I try to play.

Thank's for the offer, Roger, but I shall decline. BTW, I can't find any Rustins natural grain filler in the country. I've had to order another make from a luthier supplier in Portugal.

Thanks, Pete. I shall be going for a nitrocellulose finish and so stain, grainfiller and sanding sealer is the what I hope to do.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to General Woodworking