It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

Timber preparation (Quercus Pinus)

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Timber preparation (Quercus Pinus)

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jan 2021, 16:12

My next project will need a few pieces of 50mm square oak - about 12m run so I set to with planer, thicknesser and thickness sander.

Here are the results pieces ranging from 2m to 500mm

finished stock.jpg
(83.37 KiB)

My thickness sander does not have outfeed tables as they would get in the way when it folds away. Normally not a problem but with 2m lengths care is needed to avoid snipe.

Here I'm using a couple of blocks clamped to the table saw to support the end. Worked a treat!

outfeed support.jpg
(52.42 KiB)

This oak is a bit different from usual. Lightweight with a density of 0.48. It is my special variety Quercus Pinus that you won't find at the timber merchant. Here is the end view.

end view.jpg
(8.58 KiB)

A combination of a large stash of oak construction veneer and too much surplus pine in various sections in the garage and not really being able to justify timber buying as an "essential journey" this seemed to be the obvious solution.
Apart from time and glue - virtually free timber!

As a bi-product I have a bundle of veneer offcuts. Too good to throw away and would make far too many glue sticks!
3mm thick, 55mm wide and lengths from 250 to 400mm. Some have defects/features and some splits but if anyone in UK wants it, pm me your address and you are welcome to have it. I also have narrower strips up to 2.4m long but that cant be easily posted unless you wantthem cut into shorter lengths?

IMG_2863.JPG
(311.8 KiB)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Timber preparation (Quercus Pinus)

Postby AJB Temple » 05 Jan 2021, 17:01

That's a good idea.
I wish I had a thickness sander.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jan 2021, 17:15

AJB Temple wrote:That's a good idea.
I wish I had a thickness sander.

A while back Woodbloke of this parish was kind enough to cut me some veneers on his band saw and finished them off on the same model of sander. I was so impressed that I set and ebay search running and eventually secured one at a not too extortionate price. However I did have to drive to cardiff to get it.

I've got it on a folding stand so it rolls away under the bench when not in use.

http://thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 299#p55293

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 05 Jan 2021, 17:33

Thicknessing by drum sander is also my favourite way of thicknessing off those last few mm on wood with a tricky grain.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jan 2021, 18:03

9fingers wrote:A while back Woodbloke of this parish was kind enough to cut me some veneers on his band saw and finished them off on the same model of sander. I was so impressed that I set and ebay search running and eventually secured one at a not too extortionate price.
Bob

Happy to help Bob and I too wouldn't be without a drum sander. A complete game changer if you do any bandawn veneering or like Roger, have some tricky grain to finish off - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 06 Jan 2021, 11:03

my special variety Quercus Pinus

Not so much a 'variety' Bob, as a "chimera"...just sayin'... Gotta hang with Linnaeus on this one... :eusa-whistle:

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jan 2021, 11:13

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:
my special variety Quercus Pinus

Not so much a 'variety' Bob, as a "chimera"...just sayin'... Gotta hang with Linnaeus on this one... :eusa-whistle:

Sam

Agreed Sam :lol:

It is strange to handle something that looks like oak and yet is so relatively light

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to General Woodworking