It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:42

My wife has left me

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: My wife has left me

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Jan 2021, 23:00

I have minimal sanding to do Roger. The oak comes off the thicknesser with a very good finish. I don't have a spindle moulder so I take my sawn oak boards to a bloke not far away and his machine cuts t&g all round and it comes off the thicknesser and big surface sander ready to apply finish pretty much.

Hence, in a smallish room such as I've just done (dressing room and sort of annexe) I get down on my hands and knees and use a Mirka Deros with 150mm pads and Festool vac attached. I then vacuum and mop off very lightly with white spirit to get rid of any dust residue.

For bigger rooms I have an ancient Menzer machine that I bought second hand years ago when I had a parquet floor to deal with. It's quite aggressive though and there is no effective dust extraction. It will also work as a polisher. For corners I have a half sheet equally ancient Bosch flat plate sander. Must be 30 years old.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Loghead » 14 Jan 2021, 08:04

My Lady, in her day, was like MikeG's wife.

When I was working away from home she got me to show her how to make concrete blocks, in a mould I had. She got stuck in with that in the week, and at the weekend I would come back home and build the garden walls! back in the 80s that was and the walls still stand, looking all nice and mossy! Jeannie did a good job with those blocks!

She also kept me well served with tea and sangwidges or burgers and chips whenever I was in the shop. No wonder I have spread in the waist!

John Alfredo :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
Those who understand Compound Interest, make money from those who don't. (Accredited to Einstein)
Loghead
New Shoots

Name: Jon-Alex

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jan 2021, 21:54

OK, fellas, I don't wish to denigrate my wife.

She helps me all the time.
When we dug out the foundations and ponds and built the banks, and laid a new drive and parking area (100 tons of type 1 and 60 tons of granite) I was on digger and she was on dumper.
She has helped lay a lot of concrete.
She does her share of decorating.
She has sorted and shifted 100% of the flooring oak for me to lay.
She piles up the bricks and labours when I am bricklaying.
She has lifted and shifted a LOT of oak beams with me.
She has planted about 700 shrubs and trees.
She does most of the gardening, shifting of tons (literally) of manure and compost, and most of the pruning and 100% of propagation.

I write this in case she ever sees this forum, hence I am getting my defence in first. ;)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking