It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:18

Fixing plaque to wood

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Fixing plaque to wood

Postby marineboy » 14 Jan 2021, 15:33

I have made a box to commemorate the birth of my second grandson and I need some advice on fixing a plaque to the inside of the lid. As the lid is veneered 6mm ply let into the lid frame I didn’t think I’d be able to use screws to fix it, which is why when I ordered the plaque I did not specify corner holes. Therefore I need to glue it but am unsure as to which adhesive. I have both contact adhesive and 2 part epoxy and favour the latter, but I’d be grateful for any advice.

63B3AA35-A9FA-4C29-A04D-1DCD0169CEBB.jpeg
(212.62 KiB)
marineboy
Seedling

Name: Nick

Re: Fixing plaque to wood

Postby novocaine » 14 Jan 2021, 15:49

either will be fine. if you favour epoxy than crack on, I like contact adhesive, it reminds my of my student days. :shock:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Cabinetman » 14 Jan 2021, 15:59

Nice job marine boy, a bit late now but I would have let it in to the surface prior to glueing up. Yes you can glue it, any construction adhesive will do the trick I have used CT1 in the past, pink stuff is a bit too thick and goes off/skins really quickly. I wouldn’t try and coat the whole of the plaque, it isn’t necessary and it all it will do is squirt out and make a mess, so thinly scraped on to within a quarter of an inch of the edges and then obviously, very carefully place in position a quick squeeze – finger pressure and step back to make sure it’s straight ha ha. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby marineboy » 14 Jan 2021, 16:29

Thanks both, that’s helpful. Yes you’re right, it would have been better let into the lid so it’s flush but I made the box some months ago and obviously couldn’t order the plaque until my grandson had been born.
marineboy
Seedling

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jan 2021, 17:39

I'd go for a couple of dabs of epoxy as well...nice box btw!

Edit- looking at an enlarged shot of the box, you don't appear to have let the hinges in far enough as there seems to be a very large gap at the back 'twixt the lid and the box? Just an observation - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby marineboy » 14 Jan 2021, 18:03

Thanks for that advice Rob, and for the compliment. I actually tried dab of construction adhesive on a small area of the plaque and tried it on a bit of scrap, and after letting it stand for an hour or so it was well stuck, so I don’t think I’ll need epoxy as well.

Re the hinges, perhaps I was a bit nervous about the gap being too small so I erred on the side of caution and routed the recesses so that the top of the hinges were flush with the top of the sides. The gap isn’t perfect but I’ve measured it and it’s about 0.8mm and I’m happy with that.
marineboy
Seedling

Postby AndyT » 14 Jan 2021, 18:26

One way to get the position right is to use four strips of masking tape to frame the spot where the plaque will go. That way you can fiddle about getting it square and central before any glue goes near it. And if there are any stray blobs they should be on the tape not the box.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby marineboy » 14 Jan 2021, 18:46

That’s exactly what I did. It also enabled me to remove the finish I’d applied and make some scratches in the surface of the veneer to provide a key without going outside the area covered by the plaque.
marineboy
Seedling

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jan 2021, 09:38

marineboy wrote:
Re the hinges, perhaps I was a bit nervous about the gap being too small so I erred on the side of caution and routed the recesses so that the top of the hinges were flush with the top of the sides. The gap isn’t perfect but I’ve measured it and it’s about 0.8mm and I’m happy with that.

We've got wires crossed :lol: The depth of the hinges are fine; they should be flush with the top of the sides, but you don't seem to have made each recess long enough, which means the hinges stick out too far at the back resulting in a large gap between the lid and the box. Whilst in no way wishing to steal any thunder, if you have a peek at a box recently finished...

IMG_5074.jpg
(121.04 KiB)

...you can see the gap at the rear is about a mm or less. I'd suggest you set up the router table again very carefully and do a few test cuts on some scrap pine (which is wot I did) to get the length of the slot spot on; if it goes a fraction deep, just pack it out with a shim of paper until the hinge is level - Rob

Edit - fill up the old screw holes with a slither of hardwood glued in place, clean up with a sharp chisel (but you knew that already :D )
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dovetaildave » 21 Jan 2021, 20:09

Just a query,

Which was the least smelliest of the two ?
and
Do you get a whiff each time you open it?

lovely looking box, makes me sad to think i tossed all my Madagascan ebony due to some worm (Panicked)....I should have used some chemical in hindsight :oops:
Dovetaildave
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking