It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:39

Axminster Basingstoke - Sunday 19th Oct

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Axminster Basingstoke - Sunday 19th Oct

Postby Wizard9999 » 15 Oct 2014, 15:44

After the planer thicknesser event which I was somewhat underwhelmed by, glad to see the Basingstole branch of Axminster upping their game by calling in expert support. I'll be doing my best to get along their on Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/events/716997291708828

"There are many ways to produce this classic joint, from the use of a chisel and mallet to a dedicated morticing machine. One way is to use a router which produces a super accurate mortice, but It has usually always involved the use of a 'shop made' jig. Watch Rob Stoakley not only produce a mortice, using just a router, a few assorted hand tools, some cramps and bits of plywood for packing, but also a wedged, exposed and rounded tenon to fit in it!

If you want to see how to produce a classy variation on the standard joint, which will undoubtedly add a little 'je ne sais quoi' to your projects, this is a demonstration you simply can't afford to miss."
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Axminster Basingstoke - Sunday 19th Oct

Postby Rod » 15 Oct 2014, 15:50

Going by the language, written by the man himself?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Oct 2014, 19:08

Haha. Flagrant self promotion!!! ;)

Looks good, get some pictures Terry! :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 15 Oct 2014, 19:33

Or better still some video
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Oct 2014, 22:31

Rod wrote:Going by the language, written by the man himself?

Rod

Indeed, but only 'cos I was tasked by AxHQ to promote the event with a little 'pzzzzzzaz' :D I'll be there for about 10ish to set up the stall and will start the demo at around 11am. Feel free to join in or heckle, should be a good event as there will be a lot of other n'er-do-wells at the event besides moi - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Oct 2014, 23:54

I hope you'll be wearing socks... :P

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Newbie_Neil » 16 Oct 2014, 10:26

Hi Rob,

Are there any plans to take this event North to the Nuneaton store?

Thanks,
Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Oct 2014, 10:43

Woodbloke wrote:
Rod wrote:Going by the language, written by the man himself?

Rod

Indeed, but only 'cos I was tasked by AxHQ to promote the event with a little 'pzzzzzzaz' :D I'll be there for about 10ish to set up the stall and will start the demo at around 11am. Feel free to join in or heckle, should be a good event as there will be a lot of other n'er-do-wells at the event besides moi - Rob

Rob

Hmmmm, struggling with the use of the word "promote"?

I got to know about this as follows:
i) hard copy flier from Axy telling me about a 10% off weekend as Basingstoke shop, with a suggested url for more details
ii) typed in URL and ended up at the branch locator page, where there is a 'were you looking for in-store events' link
iii) hit that link and found the details of the 10% off event, no mention of your slot on the Sunday, even though that is on one of the days the 10% event is running
iv) wasn't too busy, so scrolled down about a screen where I eventually found mention of your event

Less promoted and more put in the understairs cupboard behind the mop and bucket! I am sure that spending the best part of your Sunday in the Basingstoke branch is not top of the list of things you'd like to be doing on the day, so I think it would only be fair of Axy to push this a bit harder. Even if they don't care about you, I assume this is not something you are doing oput of the goodness of your heart, so frankly it is crazy to pay you to do this and then not take the opportunity to use it as a way of increasing foot fall and therefore getting some additional sales.

Please don't get me wrong I'm not being critical of you in any way (my concern is about the Axy marketing dept.) and I hope despite the lack of promotion you get a decent turn out, I still plan to be there.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2014, 10:59

Terry, the background to this one is complicated. I wish to remain completely impartial in all dealings with Axminster posts, for good or ill and I will not comment on their marketing strategy.

However, last year I joined the Southern Fellowship of Woodworkers and for reasons various, I left after twelve months. They (the SFWW) then contacted me and asked me to do this demo at Basingstoke as an 'honourary' member and at that time I wasn't working for Axminster. The upshot is that I'm actually doing this under the banner of the SFWW and not Ax although the demonstration has been sucked into the general melee of the weekend's events.

Does that clarify the situation a little? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2014, 11:04

Newbie_Neil wrote:Hi Rob,

Are there any plans to take this event North to the Nuneaton store?

Thanks,
Neil

Well if they do Neil, it's a bloody long way for me to drive, so I won't be attending :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Oct 2014, 11:51

Woodbloke wrote:Terry, the background to this one is complicated. I wish to remain completely impartial in all dealings with Axminster posts, for good or ill and I will not comment on their marketing strategy.

However, last year I joined the Southern Fellowship of Woodworkers and for reasons various, I left after twelve months. They (the SFWW) then contacted me and asked me to do this demo at Basingstoke as an 'honourary' member and at that time I wasn't working for Axminster. The upshot is that I'm actually doing this under the banner of the SFWW and not Ax although the demonstration has been sucked into the general melee of the weekend's events.

Well Rob, it makes clear that you live your life in a somewhat 'tangled web'! Hopefully see you on Sunday.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Bungle » 16 Oct 2014, 22:00

Woodbloke wrote:Terry, the background to this one is complicated. I wish to remain completely impartial in all dealings with Axminster posts, for good or ill and I will not comment on their marketing strategy.

Unfortunately I'm busy on Saturday so can't make it

Cheers

Bungle
Bungle
Seedling

Name: Jonathan

Postby Wizard9999 » 19 Oct 2014, 14:49

Well, it was really great to meet Rob this morning at Axminster in Basingstoke; as I arrived early we had a nice chat before his demo. The demo itself was really informative, lots of good tips and Rob took the time to answer all and any questions, including the basic novice ones from me and the repeat questions from people who turned up half way through the demo. There were a number of other demo's taking place, by a combination of Axminster staff and third parties. It was the fullest I have ever seen Axminster in Basingstoke, so I think the event was helping generate some trade for them.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering there was no pushing of Axminster product, in fact Rob happily told people where some of his tools came from even though they weren't from Axminster.

Thanks for the demo Rob, really appreciated it! :eusa-clap:

Terry.

PS I did tell him he looks younger in the flesh than his photo on the Axminster blog, but on reflection I should have gone further and suggested a new photo!
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Oct 2014, 18:12

Wizard9999 wrote:
PS I did tell him he looks younger in the flesh than his photo on the Axminster blog, but on reflection I should have gone further and suggested a new photo!

Only 'cos I weren't wearing any socks :lol: :lol:

Nice to meet up and have a natter, glad also you enjoyed the demo. Don't forget also to go and see Bob in Romsey…you'll definitely enjoy the visit as he's a mine of really useful stuff. Just don't mention hand tools :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking