It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:03

Vice Disaster

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Vice Disaster

Postby TobyT » 01 Mar 2021, 01:40

TrimTheKing wrote:
TobyT wrote:If anyone is still looking for vices buying an old workbench can be a cheap way to get one/more old vices. I recently bought an old college workbench for £60. From memory it came with 52P, 52 and a 52.5QR. They need a bit of a clean up but were useable.
If I was any nearer I would be putting a bid on this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-vice- ... _Auction=1

This is only 20 miles from me so I favourited it and went in this morning... I waited for the last 20 seconds and put in a max bid of £75 which was immediately outbid by the previous max bid of another buyer. I didn't go any higher as it would only have been a temp bench to allow me to build my workshop cabinets on more than my workmate so I missed out. Not to worry, it has got me looking for other SH benches now though...

Shame, would have been a good purchase for the bench alone. It was the same reason I ended up buying a bench on ebay. I moved into this house 5 years ago and have been planning to build myself a proper bench ever since I moved in, but work off the workmate until then...finally I saw sense and realised that anything would be better. It's now comfortably covered in cr*p and the resulting working space is only slightly larger than a workmate; but it doesn't move and has two vices (the third is sitting under the bench waiting to be renovated).

Good condition 'classic' work benches seem to fetch some silly money. I think they get used for upcycled kitchen islands and the like. If you go for something that bored schoolkids have sawn into, hammered 6" nails though and generally abused then the price drops considerably.
TobyT
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking