It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:46

Not Today, Good Sir!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Not Today, Good Sir!

Postby kirkpoore1 » 01 Mar 2021, 15:15

Trevanion wrote:
Woodster wrote:If anyone wants to query Suffolk Machinery

Oh god no... Not the Americans, please, anything but the Americans!

No offense to our American members, you're alright :lol:

Hey now!

My blades get dull before they break, and will break when I'm abusing them ("Just one more cut!") after they get dull. :)

As for detensioning, I don't do it and haven't had a noticeable problem. I would say that if you're not going to use your saw for a few months, say because you're taking a long vacation to visit Sunny Bob in Cyprus, then go ahead. But this is to keep from getting a groove in your rubber bandsaw tires rather than saving the blade.

It is possible that detensioning may be more important for small-wheeled bandsaws because the blades are bent more tightly. But I have no information to back that up.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby MartinF » 01 Mar 2021, 17:08

FWIW, the manual for my Record Power BS399E says

*if the machine is to stand idle for a period, it is good practice to slacken the tension and re-tension when next using".

What is meant by "period" is open to debate but it does not say "recommended" or "essential" just "good practice".
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 01 Mar 2021, 17:43

Startrite, Axminster Tools, Record Power and blade manufacturers all say to take the tension off.

In defence of not doing what the manufacturers say, someone once said “that’s the way I always do it” in another place and I saved the reply because I thought I’d get to share this gem myself some time. :D

7EE2F7C5-1F6D-43CD-B8A3-77037520AC61.jpeg
(608.32 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 01 Mar 2021, 18:25

But how do you get your bandsaw blade to red hot and then shock cool quickly? :shock:
It starts at room temp, it heats to mildly warm, possibly as far as hot to the touch, and it cools slowly back to room temp. Thats my physics.

Each time I have broken a blade, I know full well I have been pushing it to the limits of it cutting ability.
As far as tensioning, I have no problem not releasing tension, I also have no problem with anyone who does.
Its an opinion, and its all mine. :lol: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 01 Mar 2021, 19:19

Woodster wrote:Startrite, Axminster Tools, Record Power and blade manufacturers all say to take the tension off.

In defence of not doing what the manufacturers say, someone once said “that’s the way I always do it” in another place and I saved the reply because I thought I’d get to share this gem myself some time. :D

That's a bit much of a snide reply in my eye, to be honest.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 01 Mar 2021, 20:42

I can’t see why you’d say that if you read what was said, you even quoted it. ;) It was supposed to be funny.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 01 Mar 2021, 21:58

Behave or you'll both have to go stand in a corner and face the wall. :o

Excited molecules move. When they move they have a tendancy to try and find order before they stop (entropy is a bitch). Whilst you arent getting the blade cherry red ypu are getting a few of them excited enough for a bit of samba. Those ones move and find order, normally in a slightly tighter bond. Movement at a molecular scale isnt very much but if lots of them do it over the length of a blade it can make a little difference. Now those ones that moved arent likely to want to reorder again, so they sit out the big dances and stick to the rumba with their new closly linked partners but the rest still samba. This repeats over and over again untill everything is a nice neat order, at which point the blade wont get any smaller. But it will have become brittle. Ypy see all thosd nice neat rows mean that breaking bonds becomes easier, ypu snap a few and there isnt a random order around it to hold the party together, you also get a harder but more fragile material. Now we get a crack. Like the one seen on OP.

Theres more, but thats enough material science for today. Tomorrow we'll do a bit on how to * up the nice neat order with a bit of annealing.

Note: excuse the typos, fat fingers on a tiny screen.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Previous

Return to General Woodworking