It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:53

What I did on my autumn vacation...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

What I did on my autumn vacation...

Postby kirkpoore1 » 15 Dec 2014, 19:19

OK, it wasn't really a vacation. It was most weekends and evenings since September:

Woodworking is really my second hobby, the first is the medieval group I socialize in. Every year they have a Christmas shopping event, and for the last several years I've been selling there. This year I started building stuff in September, and wound up with 36 pieces, including Dantesca chairs, folding stools, benches, 6 board chests, shelves, and music stands. I managed to sell 15 items and take orders for a couple more (additional carving or other minor changes), which was about 50% more than I've ever done before. My friend Bel sold machine embroidered towels, and we also brought her sewing machine along to sew seats if customers wanted a different color than what was already on the chair or stool. That bit of innovation was a real winner--three quarters of the chairs and folding stools either had new seat fabric or the old fabric was tightened or loosened.

My stuff is probably too expensive for a craft fair open to the public, but knowing my customers and what they want meant that I was able to sell 6 chairs for $280 each. I certainly couldn't do this full time, but it really pays the bills for both hobbies and lets me have a great shop without it being a drag on the finances.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: What I did on my autumn vacation...

Postby DaveL » 15 Dec 2014, 19:59

Oh nicely done sir, combining two hobbies and letting one of them pay to the other.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Dec 2014, 21:37

Very nice! That's what I ultimately want to get from woodworking, but long time before I'm in a position to spend enough time in the 'shop for it to be reality…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 15 Dec 2014, 22:35

Well done Kirk

And what two hobbies will that be Mark ?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2014, 08:26

Well done Kirk. Interesting that so many sales depended on customisations.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2014, 08:55

Rod wrote:Well done Kirk

And what two hobbies will that be Mark ?

Rod

Cycle saddle polishing ? :D

Kirk..well done, that man, well done. Good to see that you have customers willing to pay a realistic price for quality work.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Dec 2014, 14:42

Thanks, guys. It's always good to know that I can justify my purchases. I just bought a steady rest for my lathe, for example.

Andyp wrote:Well done Kirk. Interesting that so many sales depended on customisations.

Some of them would have bought anyway, but variety always helps. It's like cars--not everybody wants to drive the same color. And some patterns are particularly popular. I've updated my designs so that the chairs and stools take the same seat (except for width) which means I can have them pre-sewn except for the last edge. Now I have to go to some fabric stores for more upholstery fabric to replace what sold and get some better colors--not as fun as going to a sawmill, though.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to General Woodworking