It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:21

Trimble Workshop : Headroom

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Trimble Workshop : Headroom

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2015, 18:42

Mike G wrote:What am I looking at Mark. I've forgotten.

:)

This one Mike

Here we go chaps, here's another version.

Mike - How does this look to you? I have left a 10mm gap between the top of ground slab and the 100mm insulation just to show the DPM route but in reality this would sit directly on top of slab (thus bringing the FFL level 10mm lower down too).

Is it okay to have the ground slab level with the top of the footings?
Is it okay to have the finished floor slab at 75mm or need to be thicker?

Assumptions would be that I would use some kind of tanking paint against the outside face of the inner block skin, then dim outside that tucked into the DPC.

The green line is another layer of DPM/Tanking paint that could be applied to the outset skin, below ground level, if it was thought necessary…or would this potentially cause issues allowing the bricks to breathe?

Doing it this way gets me to 360mm below ground level, at which point I could put in a 6" deep false floor for running ducting under bringing the final floor height to 8" below ground level. What do you think?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2015, 19:02

Mark,

a ground bearing oversite slab should be a min. of 100mm thick. It also needs to be on 100+mm of crushed hardcore, plus sand blinding, so your dig is already getting very deep indeed. 360 + 150mm is half a metre, times 30 square metres = 15 cubic metres of soil to be carried away. Practically, the slab can't come level with the top of the foundations because the foundations are never neat and square as you have drawn. You'll do damn well to get them horizontal.

Let's go back to basics: why are you looking to go down into the ground? If your workshop is based on mine, then you'll have masses of headroom. The sort of levels you are talking about at the moment are going to cost you thousands of pounds to achieve, so it is important to understand why you are trying so hard.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2015, 19:15

Just had pricing back from my builder, who is cheap, and you're not wrong!!

So the main reason was to gain back some headroom I conceded to gain the planning, and also so it didn't go too high above my hedgerow and be too imposing.

I will check the height when I get back but I think I dropped to external ridge height to about 4100 so taking the ridge beam into account I though I might get back to what I originally wanted, but given the costs I'm thinking I might just accept less!

Will check in about 30 mins and reply.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Wizard9999 » 14 Jan 2015, 08:26

As I mentioned before Mark, going down into my sloping site was a real PITA for me. Took ages and whilst labour was free (me) I must have spent a fair bit on additional materials. One to avoid unless absolutely necessary. As I am limited to 2.5m, your head height sounds like blood luxury!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jan 2015, 09:01

Hi Terry

Yep I'm very much coming to that conclusion too, had to do all the analysis myself though you understand ;)

Working through a few things now so hopefully have a clearer view of where I'm going soon.

In the plus side my mate has a mini digger and breaker I can borrow to to do the groundworks myself so that will save some cash. Need to speak to the farmer now to see if he has any holes that need filling with the soil that will come out, to save me more money on skips...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Woodworking