It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:19

UN-twisting Cls timber

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

UN-twisting Cls timber

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 16:34

Hi, as per title really.

I bought a load of Cls timber from Wickes, upon delivery most of it was bowed but some was badly twisted.

I did complain and they did replace it albeit after the third attempt! But the courier didn't want to load up his Lorry with the returns as he was in a rush, when I spoke to customer care they told me they would send someone, that was over a month ago lol.

I was wondering if I could un twist it and gain by their bad service?

Matt
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Re: UN-twisting Cls timber

Postby StevieB » 16 Aug 2017, 17:00

Short answer - Nope!

Long answer - if you want it the same length then almost certainly not. If you need shorter lengths and thickness then you might be abel to cut it down and thickness it, but for the faff involved I wouldn't bother. It is typically hidden studding or constructional timber so the odd non-straight length is not a massive issue typically.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 16 Aug 2017, 17:27

another "no" from me.

I always go and sort through the pile if I need some. even then some of it will keep moving.

and as said , it depends on what you are using it for as to how much of an issue it is.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 18:11

i was planning on using it for assembling the interior of the workshop. If I force it straight with screws and glue will it split?

Matt
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Aug 2017, 18:51

Believe it or not, it is best to select construction timber when it is wet, and to pick stuff out of the middle of the pack where the sun hasn't got to it. Sun is the biggest problem for stored timber, not rain, and it is ideal if you can then get it fixed in place before it dries fully. It will then dry evenly, rather than have one face exposed to the sun, and has half a chance of staying straight. Once it has gone, though, it's gone, and the only thing it is any use for is short lengths such as noggins. You really won't pull it around to straight, however much time and energy you waste on it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 21:32

I ordered online and had it all delivered in one go along with a load of concrete fence posts and fence panels, (still not up), all in all over 2 tons of material which I had to lug around the block due to rear access! lol.
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Postby techauthorbob » 12 Jan 2018, 14:08

I have untwisted scaffolding planks by clamping one end to bench leg and pivot under centre of other end.

A lever was clamped near pivot and BIG offset load applied.

While it wasuntwisting I kept it wet (ish).

This worked well on plank and twist stayed out, but it took a few weeks to stay flat.

I made the load enough so that the plank was twisted the same amount but in the opposite direction.

Give it a try, might work out OK, you have nothing to lose by trying! :eusa-whistle:
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Return to Tips & Tutorials