It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:06

Getting forum projects published in a magazine

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Getting forum projects published in a magazine

Postby oddsocks » 03 Jan 2018, 23:12

I'm posting this in tips as its not a project ...but may be useful info to anyone that has created and published projects on this or other forums (e.g. my understairs storage unit or the corner summerhouse ones from last year) and wants to also hopefully see them in a magazine.....

Earlier this year I designed a custom bed for my granddaughter that needed to fit in a tight alcove. I sent some photos to the editor of Good Woodworking magazine (Tegan Foley) to see if she was interested in me writing it up as a magazine article (I hadn't posted the WIP on here). At the same time I also included links to the understairs and summerhouse projects and asked if they had any restrictions on publishing such articles (given it wouldn't be exclusive to the magazine). Tegan confirmed that was not an issue (actual email text "In terms of publishing articles that have appeared on forums, I really don’t mind and can see no harm in this. Obviously the magazine article will be more detailed and comprehensive, so I think giving forum members a ‘flavour’ of the project is fine.). She then said both the understairs and corner summerhouse could be converted to articles (so the 'flavour' in a forum post can be quite strong!!). As a result, the understair storage project is appearing in next month's magazine and hopefully the summerhouse in one a few months later. My bed was published in issue 324 (Nov17) as 'Jessica's bed'.

Even though the 'story' of the build may have already been written in a forum project, converting it to the format for a magazine article takes time (for me at least 6 hours for each one).....This is the approach that has worked for me....
    Before anything else, send an email with a photo of the finished item and any summary text that could help get it accepted as an article. If accepted....

Decide the photos to be used and in what order. Rename each photo starting pic1, pic2 etc and give each a short descriptive name.

Include a dimensioned drawing (or more) - I use sketchup and export as 2D in png format. Call the file Fig1 with discription.

Upload the images to a sharing site (I now use flickr as it lets you reorganise the image order if needed). Create an Album, move the images into it and copy the shareing URL.

Write the article using Word or similar, with larger coloured font section headings and a simple black text font for the content. Where figures or pictures are mentioned in the article use a different colour font. I tend to use the section headings of:
    Intro
    Design,Dimension & Materials constraints or requirements
    Design & Construction
    Time and cost
    What would I change/do differently
    link to the Flickr album and anything else (e.g. sketchup file in 3d workshop)

Once completed send it in an email, including the flickr album link (check it works!) and include one image of the completed item.

You won't make a fortune !!! Its £50 per printed page(at least thats the amateur rate) and any starter photo page doesn't get counted. Back in 2003 I had an oak bureau article printed over 3 editions and got £500, so the page rate has stayed much the same, just now worth less. Before a first article is published you will need to provide the usual national insurance and bank details and sign forms (which includes you retaining copyright). You'll get paid gross so if above any tax free threshold you will need to declare it at the end of the tax year (so don't spend it all on shiny tools!).

There have been some very good projects on this forum that would make good magazine articles.

Dave

PS I sent another idea in yesterday that was accepted this morning - a simple rabbit run, will add that to the projects in a bit .
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: Getting forum projects published in a magazine

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jan 2018, 19:20

Interesting, good to know, cheers Dave.

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike Jordan » 07 Jan 2018, 11:12

As I mentioned in the private message, a number of people who formerly produced articles for GW have now given up after the magazine slashed the page rate and stated that photos and drawings would not be paid for at all!
The magazines are now desperate for material and have repeatedly tried encouraging readers to contribute. If you have a go, don't under any circumstances sign the publication agreement they request. If you sign, you will have the same experience that I had, they will repeat you articles without payment in future issues. Tegan has tried to play fair with contributors but she is controlled by financial gnomes who know sod all about working in wood but are keen to show a profit.
Magazines are very poor value now and have taken to publishing low quality items to fill space. There is plenty of on line material available FOC so why spend on pages of adverts?
Ten years ago the starting rate was £70 per page including all photos and plans. To offer £50 is a joke.
It's nice to see your work in print but the minimum rate for good work that needs little editing is £100 per page. That's the least I get paid, but I no longer bother with the woodworking magazines, they are in their death throws.
Mike.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby oddsocks » 11 Jan 2018, 23:45

Thanks for that info (and PM) Mike - I missed that you had responded to post as well (until now). I had indeed signed their agreement (and I'd read it!)..only now reading it with a 'new perspective' can I see the lock in . Here's the key para, basically as Mike said, you get paid for the submission then they can use it forever...
(I never thought to ask about repeat fees as I had in the past got them the one time an article was repeated in a compilation softback).

4.1 Subject to MyTimeMedia meeting the requirements for payment, as specified in Clause 3, the Author hereby grants MyTimeMedia a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty paid licence to use the Contributions (whether now in existence or created in the future) on the basis specified in Schedule 1, for the full period of any copyright and any extensions and renewals thereof. For the avoidance of doubt the licence and other rights and obligations under this Agreement shall be deemed to apply to Contributions provided prior to the date of this Agreement from the date they were originally provided to MyTimeMedia by the Author.

I did wonder if after publication I could transfer copyright to my wife but that is prevented (I think) in this...

6.2 The Author has not and shall not enter into any agreement or arrangement which might conflict with the licences granted to MyTimeMedia under Clause 4 or MyTimeMedia’s other rights under this Agreement or which might interfere with the performance by the Author of the Author's obligations under this Agreement.

So I'm 'locked in', but on the 'plus' side I have the satisfaction of seeing articles in print that I would otherwise have just submitted to the forum (and for 3 of the articles I had already written them up as forum projects) and have some money, but not at a professional or even casual acceptable rate.

There's not that many woodworking mags in UK to contribute to, but if anyone knows a more generous publisher please let me know (mind you I've no more appropriate projects lined up at the moment....my wife even order a corner cabinet online last week rather than ask for a quote :( )

I'm now curious to see if and how often any of the articles are actually repeated!

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby Mike Jordan » 12 Jan 2018, 10:08

Hi Dave
I think that this is one of those things that needs to be better known by everyone! I also signed a similar document from GMC, after finding out what it was all about I delt with other magazines on the understanding that " one publication for one fee" applied and any reuse must be paid for and my permission was required.
I am no expert in these matters but I think you could make this a condition when submitting an an article to GW, stating that you signed the document in error and do not intend to be bound by it might put them in an unhappy situation.
I have dealt with magazines from other areas of interest and they have been brilliant. By work involves making joinery for inland and offshore boaters. Those people who boat offshore have different magazines to the inland boaters. This means that articles can be resold for a full fee to three areas of interest! Obviously no work is required other than running off another CD of the photos, text, etc.
Preparing an article, taking photos and writing it up, together with plans and cutting lists takes time and effort. The results belong to you, don't allow yourself to be robbed.
Mike.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Return to Tips & Tutorials