It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:48

Bailey No6 Quandary - Plane Experts Knowledge Required!

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Bailey No6 Quandary - Plane Experts Knowledge Required!

Postby will1983 » 17 Sep 2018, 15:18

I bought a baily no6 off eBay ages ago and decided to give it a bit of a clean up at the weekend. However it appears that the holes in the frog don't line up with the threaded holes in the bed of the plane.

The holes are the same distance apart but appear to be to far back in the bed by about 5mm. This has the impact that the blade will not project through the mouth, it clashes with the rear of the mouth.

Does anyone know what's going on there? Obviously the frog isn't the original and has been replaced with a similar but not an exact component at some point.

Apart from this the rest of the plane appears to be in good condition. I would like to start using it so if someone knows where I can get a new frog that will fit please enlighten me.

Thanks
Will

P.s. Copied this over from the UKW forum. :D
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Bailey No6 Quandary - Plane Experts Knowledge Required!

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Sep 2018, 15:40

You sure the frog isn't just wound too far forwards??

Try backing of the adjustment and see if that helps.

Ignore this if you've already done that.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby will1983 » 19 Sep 2018, 11:33

TrimTheKing wrote:You sure the frog isn't just wound too far forwards??

Try backing of the adjustment and see if that helps.

Ignore this if you've already done that.

Cheers Trim, tried that mate.. Problem is solved now though, see below copied over from UKW..

"I had another look at the plane last night and decided, b*gg*r it! Out with the needle files! After all if I mess it up, what am I left with? A plane the doesn't work, well I've got one of those already so nothing to loose.

I marked a square line across the bed with a scribe a mm behind the mouth and filed slowly back towards it. I made sure to match the bedding angle of the frog in the mouth. Second I gently lengthened the holes in the frog to give a bit more adjustability. Doing this uncovered some casting flashing inside the holes, there was a thick layer of paint previously obscuring this.

Modifications done, I reassembled the plane and took some test shavings on a bit of 4x2 I had lying around.

There is still quite a bit of general cleaning up needed to get it working perfectly but I know it is worth it now.

A thought occurred to me, is it possible that this plane has never been fettled and therefore not been used properly since it left the factory? I suppose not every tool was bought by a woodworking expert, some would have been sold to people not in the know that tools need tuning before they can be used."
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 Sep 2018, 11:52

David Charlesworth wrote an article years ago about fettling a plane that required filing etc
Must be on Utube or somewhere??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery