It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:49

Handles for screwdrivers

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Handles for screwdrivers

Postby fred » 23 Jul 2014, 14:37

I have purchased on ebay some pattern type screwdrivers, without wooden handles, as a restoration job, with the intention of keeping and using them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-Perfect- ... true&rt=nc

What wood would of been used originally? I've got some ash, oak, cherry and pear in the workshop, any of them acceptable?

What technique to shape the would is best? I was thinking of turning a shape in the lathe using the handle as a pattern, and then cutting the wood shape down the length, removing the same amount of wood as that of the metal, and then fine tuning the shape when it's on the screwdriver. Is there a better way?

And as for attaching the wood to the handles, I was thinking of using epoxy glue and copper nails. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
cheers,
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Handles for screwdrivers

Postby DaveL » 23 Jul 2014, 15:03

Hi Fred,
Well done on picking those up for that price.
I don't think turning and slicing will give you correct shape as the scales are generally flatter, the handle is not round when they are fitted.
I think I would cut some thin boards and then cut shapes to fit, once you have these attack then with a rasp. Double sided tape might be good to hold them for shaping. Copper nails should be good for mixing them, I think brass rivets would have been used.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby fred » 23 Jul 2014, 15:27

I don't think turning and slicing will give you correct shape as the scales are generally flatter, the handle is not round when they are fitted.

True. I've since seen some pics of some with the wood, and the profile is a lot flatter than I had imagined. Thanks for pointing that out. All that mucking about on the lathe would of been a waste of time.

I think I'll epoxy sections of wood onto the handle, shape, and then fix with the copper nails I have.
When fixing the copper nails, I'll drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the nail right through the wood, going through the existing holes in the metal, hammer a nail right through, trim the extruding nail end so there's a millimetre or two left, and burr over. Should hold them in place.

But what do you think as to the choice of wood? Is there a prefered type from what I have listed above?

Cheers
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2014, 15:39

I've got a couple at home but cannot access them at the mo, from memory they looked coarse grained, but I maybe wrong?
I wouldn't use oak as it reacts with iron/steel.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2014, 15:56

I'll resist the obvious temptation about 'andles for forks…fork 'andles' :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fred » 23 Jul 2014, 16:21

I wouldn't use oak as it reacts with iron/steel.

Well I never. There you go. Learned something new on this website again.

Thanks for pointing that out Rod.

Cheers,
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery