It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:54

What is the difference between these two planes

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

What is the difference between these two planes

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Jan 2016, 14:14

Forgive my ignorance, but passing a few idle minutes whilst on a very dull conference call by looking at the Axminster site. I was looking at planes and saw these:

Veritas Low Angle Smoothing Plane
http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-low- ... s-ax932285

And a Veritas Bevel-Up Smoothing Plane
http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-beve ... s-ax932286

Now the low angle plane appears from the description to also be bevel-up and the bevel-up plane also appears to be low angle :? . Only idle curiosity really but I did wonder what the difference is as it does not jump out at me from the descriptions of the two clearly different planes.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: What is the difference between these two planes

Postby Rod » 07 Jan 2016, 14:58

The Effective Angle is nearly the same on both planes so no difference there.
I have the Bevel Up which uses the same blades as the BU Jack and Jointer (which I have too).
The low angle is smaller and can be used as a largish block plane whereas the BU is a dedicated smoother and works really well.

With the 3 similar blades, they can be swooped around if necessary and for really difficult grains, the grinding angle can be increased on one of them without the need for purchasing an extra.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jan 2016, 16:28

Width. Nothing more, nothing less. BU Jack blade is 50mm and smoother blade is 57mm.

I have both and the Jack tends to do the grunt work the I keep the smoother for final finish planing, but tbh you can do exactly the same job of smoothing with a freshly honed blade on the Jack with a fine set cut.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Wizard9999 » 07 Jan 2016, 17:17

TrimTheKing wrote:Width. Nothing more, nothing less. BU Jack blade is 50mm and smoother blade is 57mm.

I have both and the Jack tends to do the grunt work the I keep the smoother for final finish planing, but tbh you can do exactly the same job of smoothing with a freshly honed blade on the Jack with a fine set cut.

Cheers
Mark

Are you sure that is the right way round Mark? Have been back to the Axi site and the Jack (which I have and love) says the blade is 57mm. The Bevel-up smoother is also 57mm and the low angle smoother is quoted as 50mm.

Have to say I like the point Rod makes about being able to interchange the blades between the Jack and the bevel-up smoother. I need to be careful or I'll be talking myself into buying another plane, lol.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 07 Jan 2016, 17:33

Don't do it Terry!!!

:eusa-hand: :eusa-hand: :eusa-hand: The buggers are out to get you. You don't need it. I have a block plane and a jack plane. Some longer thing would perhaps be nice.........a shooting plane........but that's the very most you need. All the rest are made for tool collectors :eusa-whistle: :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jan 2016, 17:41

Yeah ignore me Terry, I didn't read the link properly and assumed the slimmer one was the BU Jack. The detail of what I said remains though, the size details.

It mentions that the smoother is wider and heavier for smoothing, and the LA smoother has flat sides for use in shooting, so I guess that's one of the main differences.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jan 2016, 15:35

Virtually no difference in practical terms. The low angle smoother though could, if needed, be used on a shooting board, whereas t'other one couldn't. Then you'd have to by either the low angle jack or a dedicated shooting board plane - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 15 Jan 2016, 16:25

Woodbloke wrote:Virtually no difference in practical terms. The low angle smoother though could, if needed, be used on a shooting board, whereas t'other one couldn't. Then you'd have to by either the low angle jack or a dedicated shooting board plane - Rob

I already have the LA jack, which I like a lot. I think for now I will be concentrating on a planer with a tail ;) .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2016, 19:25

Mike G wrote:Don't do it Terry!!!

:eusa-hand: :eusa-hand: :eusa-hand: The buggers are out to get you. You don't need it. I have a block plane and a jack plane. Some longer thing would perhaps be nice.........a shooting plane........but that's the very most you need. All the rest are made for tool collectors :eusa-whistle: :lol:

You're spot on, Mike. I have a draw full of planes that never see the light of day.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Modernist » 03 Mar 2016, 00:15

The narrow one has straight sides and could be used for light shooting but the better choice is the coffin shaped version with the wider blade which interchanges with the LA Jack and the skew mitre plane. That way you can have blades honed to stay 27 in A1 30 or 35 and 45 in A2 or PVM11 in order to be fully armed for any eventuality. I use my coffin BU smoother honed to 45 deg for all awkward finishing and it is so good I sold my scraper plane as unnecessary.
Modernist
Seedling

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery