It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:38

Handmade Rasps

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Handmade Rasps

Postby Rod » 08 Feb 2016, 22:57

Came across this interesting video of Aurio rasps being made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvr2nZeAfNc

Probably explains why they are so expensive?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Handmade Rasps

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2016, 23:19

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Great find, cheers Rod

I've seen parts of that before but not the whole thing. Absolutely love the amount of skill and craftsmanship that goes into these!

It gives me shoulder ache just watching them sitting hunched over doing that hand stitching though!! :shock: :eusa-snooty:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Wizard9999 » 08 Feb 2016, 23:33

Yes thanks for posting, the dexterity of the guys doing the stitching was amazing. Having seen the craftsmanship I fancy owning at least one of those.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Rod » 09 Feb 2016, 00:36

Not really boasting but I own a few - I bought them a few years back when they went bankrupt and CHT were selling them off relatively cheaply to raise funds, I think, to get them back into production. Some signed by Michel Aurio himself who was at the show.
They are really amazing and cut so fast that I drifted towards the fine grade ones which also leave a very fine finish.
The company started up again in 2008.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 10 Feb 2016, 00:19

Rod wrote:Not really boasting but I own a few - I bought them a few years back when they went bankrupt and CHT were selling them off relatively cheaply to raise funds, I think, to get them back into production. Some signed by Michel Aurio himself who was at the show.
They are really amazing and cut so fast that I drifted towards the fine grade ones which also leave a very fine finish.
The company started up again in 2008.

Rod

As the financial world seems to be going into melt down again with any luck they will go bust again soon so I can pick a few up on the cheap ;) .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 23 Mar 2016, 06:00

I'm stunned! :o I can't believe that is how they make the rasps. Very interesting video Rod, thanks!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby RogerS » 23 Mar 2016, 11:13

Wizard9999 wrote:.....
As the financial world seems to be going into melt down again .....
Terry.

Do you know something we don't?

Should I be stocking up on gold bullion ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 25 Mar 2016, 19:27

Oil price has stabilised since Feb, but we continue to have a concern around deflation, the Chinese economy is not going to drive global growth any more and therefore other commodities are also weak. The BoE has pretty much no ammunition left if there is a down turn in the UK. Probably as a result bank debt is trading at a much wider spread over govt. debt than it has at any time since 2008.

The Gulf and KSA in particular are in a real pickle because of the oil price with bank stocks on the Tadawul off 50% since mid last year. The prospect of proper taxes being put in place is looking and the long standing SAR to US$ peg is under a lot of speculative pressure.

Personally I am hopeful that Russia pulling back from Syria will at last reduce those tensions, but although the media is not reporting it much Ukraine is looking like it will flare up again. I have a reasonably chunky part of my portfolio in a business very exposed to Russia, so I watch this one very carefully.

It has at least not got any worse since Feb but the current economic position is far from benign and none of th economic forecasts I am seeing out of the banks are very positive at the moment.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Return to Hand Toolery