It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:33

Tenon saw handle

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Tenon saw handle

Postby fred » 12 Aug 2014, 12:00

I've picked up a Henry Disston 14" tenon saw off ebay, for £5.50 +p&p. The blade is sharp and true but the handle is too small for my hands (can't get all 4 fingers through). It also needs a recessed nut and bolt. The original one has been lost and replaced with a machine screw and nut.

Where's best to get a recessed nut and screw (Is that the correct name?) that will match the existing the existing other two?
And is there enough wood on that handle to cut away some of the lower part to create a "open" handle, or should I make a new larger handle that will fit my hand? Just wondering if the handle is too precious to be altered and should be kept as is, possibly sold on? I don't want to butcher an antique!

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Tenon saw handle

Postby DaveL » 12 Aug 2014, 12:23

Looks a nice saw, have you tried holding it with you index finger along side the handle, pointing at the cut? That is something I do if the handle is on the small size.
You need what are called TEE nuts for the handle, not to be confused with the ones sold by screwfix, check out the workshop heaven web site, Mathew should have them in stock.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 12 Aug 2014, 12:40

You really need that little lathe David (fred) Making those screws would be a good machining exercise.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 Aug 2014, 13:57

It's usual not to put four fingers through the handle - the index finger points down the side of the back/blade, it helps keep the saw and the forearm in line.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby fred » 12 Aug 2014, 14:09

Thanks Dave, i'll have a look now.

And i'll give the finger-down-the-side technique a go.

Bob, I was thinking just the same. Unfortunately I haven't got the funds, and wont have a for a while. I'm currently off work with a prolapsed disc (have been for a 2 months), and waiting for the consultant surgeon to get in touch with a decision on whether it's going to be epidural injection or surgery. Had an MRI scan last week, which was amazing, it was like being in a sci-fi film, very much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the sounds made by the machine reminded me of Faust, Pink Ployd and German industrial techno music.

Cheers chaps :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby fred » 12 Aug 2014, 17:38

Dave,
I've been in touch with Matthew, and a new brass saw nut has been ordered.
Many thanks for the help mate.

cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 12 Aug 2014, 20:01

The handle (and saw ) are not that old as relatively speaking it's tending on the plain side.
Making saw handles is not that difficult so I would have a go at a new one in a vintage style - there's lots of outline drawings on the internet.
The open handle style is generally used on smaller (dovetail ) saws - a closed style is more suitable for yours?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery