It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:12

Home made rebate plane WIP

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Home made rebate plane WIP

Postby Mike G » 12 Nov 2017, 19:41

A few months ago I saw a wooden rebate plane for sale in an antique shop. I made a mental note of how it all went together, and now today I had a chance to have a go at making one. I raided my off-cut pile:

Oops, out of focus. Sorry. It's oak, and looks like the off cut from under an arched brace. I know it's seasoned because:

Yeah, it's been drying for almost 7 years. The shape is somewhat fortuitous, and this is another make-it-up-at-the-bench job. I simply cut it to length. The curved shape made securing it flat on the bench quite awkward. I marked out the bed angle (45 degrees.........well, it's a plane, after all). I also marked out the other side of the cut out, against which the wedge will thrust:

I often chisel to a knife line to give be a good edge to work from:

I then cut down slightly away from the line so I could quickly chop out the bulk of the waste with a chisel without fear of damaging the finished edges:

Then carefully chisel down the faces:

Note the right hand edge is slightly undercut. The scrap piece was cut to the angle to give me a guide.

Luckily, I just happen to have a router plane, so I cleaned up the bottom with that:

Then a little scallop for the chisel handle:

Here I tried out the roughed-out wedge:

Then it was just a whole lots of shaping and finishing. Remember, the wedge has a skewed top edge so that it locks into the housing rather than flopping out.

I shaped the end of the wedge to act as a sort of chip-breaker, and throw the shavings off to the side (ooh look, blood!):

The guide is a simple bit of wood screwed to the bottom with slotted holes for screw adjustment. I thought that if it was quite big it would have a good reference when making narrow rebates:

Time to give it a whirl:

Ooops!

I took a bit more off the end of the wedge, and fiddle about with the depth a bit, but got it working really nicely:

Full length full width shavings. Operator error led to a not perfect "wall", but I'll improve. Finally, I drill a hole in it so I could hang it on the wall, and added some Danish Oil (it's only a tool!!):

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Home made rebate plane WIP

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Nov 2017, 21:01

Very nice Mike. How long did that take you to knock up?

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 12 Nov 2017, 21:04

Two or three hours, Mark. I made something else (another tool) today which worked out so well that I'm not going to show it, in case it has some commercial potential, so a most productive and fun day in the workshop.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2017, 21:10

I love the way you are using chisles for plane irons. Great stuff.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Nov 2017, 22:10

Cracking job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 12 Nov 2017, 23:06

Andyp wrote:I love the way you are using chisles for plane irons. Great stuff.

Well, a plane is just a chisel in a jig. ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 16 Nov 2017, 21:02

That's a really nice tool I love the elegant curved lines. I like the router as well. I would love to make a wooden plane like the Paul sellers one, when I have my workshed finished.

https://paulsellers.com/2015/03/making- ... ied-plane/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Return to Hand Toolery