It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:21

My 40 odd year old Stanley block plane

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

My 40 odd year old Stanley block plane

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Oct 2018, 16:01

While waiting for the glue to dry on a WIP in the 'shop, I decided to test the theory that non-brewed condiment trading as white vinegar is as good at de-rusting as distilled white vinegar. The reason I did this because I was in the farm shop and he was selling 5l at £3 something and I asked if he could get me the distilled stuff, when in walked the chap that does all the shop's pickling! He said the NBC is just as good and cleans up all his knives with it.

So, I left one rusty nut and coach bolt on a tub of NBC and another in a tub of DV.

I forgot to photograph them when I took them out and started scrubbing them. I was so surprised that I put them down and started on my block plane! Only just now did I go back and photograph them.
IMG_2339.JPG
(247.55 KiB)

What I forget was while the NBC and possibly the DV are 5% acetic acid, a lot of the rest is water and starts rusting them again! But It got the most of the orange and brown stuff off.

Anyway, on to the Stanley.
fullsizeoutput_605.jpeg
(275.8 KiB)

IMG_2337.JPG
(324.12 KiB)

And it turned out nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: My 40 odd year old Stanley block plane

Postby Rod » 14 Oct 2018, 19:56

Nice result

I use diluted Milk Scale Remover from our local farm suppliers about £15/5litres.
Lasts for years and a cheap way to buy phosphoric acid which leaves a black reasonably protective surface or it can easily be cleaned off.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery