It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:29

A complete novice made these......

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

A complete novice made these......

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2018, 19:39

Three days ago, my son in law had never used a handtool on wood. Ever, at all. His only chisel had been used for taking the lid off paint tins. The DIY he had done was all done with power tools, and almost none of it with timber (he's Spanish, and they tend to make everything out of concrete and blocks over there).

We started off 3 days ago, beginning with sharpening, then onto some mortise and tenons and a dovetail. Now take a look at what a complete novice can achieve in 3 days, all with hand tools, and including stock preparation (he'd never picked up a plane in his life):

This is a bathroom cabinet, just dry fitted (lots to do yet). I did the other end as the demonstrations, and he did this end. The through tenons will be wedged, so we'll open out the mortises a little. How many woodworkers have even done a housed out and through-tenoned shelf, let alone by hand? It just goes to show what a little patience and enthusiasm can achieve.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: A complete novice made these......

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Dec 2018, 19:51

Well done, him!

¡Bien hecho!

:text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2018, 20:41

Well done him and you.
You will be having him build a workshop next. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2018, 21:12

The full story is that his grandfather was a carpenter, and he (my SIL) has inherited all the tools. I've seen them, and they just need a good clean up and a bit of sharpening. So before there are any great woodworking projects, there will be a whole lot of tool restoration, setting and adjusting, and a few purchases (I don't have any woodies, so I can't show him how to get the best from those.........so he'll buy a Stanley/ Bailey whatever). He'll then build some shelves etc in his garage/ workshop to go with the bench he's just bought. Great to see someone so enthusiastic.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Dec 2018, 22:28

Excellent Mike, how old is he?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2018, 22:30

TrimTheKing wrote:Excellent Mike, how old is he?

He's thirty, Mark. A primary school teacher.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Dec 2018, 22:31

Very good. Almost the same age as me when I started browsing UKW and getting interested in woodwork after not doing any since school. Good man.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby DaveL » 31 Dec 2018, 00:06

Well done Mike, he will have hours of fun.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Dec 2018, 09:44

Very nicely done! I reckon once he's seen what he can do he'll be hooked on woodmangling for life - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 31 Dec 2018, 12:22

The carpentry looks good and excellent for a novice. I’d get the photographer to clean the lens next time though ... :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2019, 13:18

I reckon this was roughly 25 to 30 hours work. 80% is my SiL's efforts (the rest my demonstrations):

Note the dovetail and mortice & tenon dry joints he's taking home, in the drawer, to inform his practice. This was a 100% hand tool project, other than drilling the holes for the hanging thingamejigs:

These (below) were a bridge too far, hence the simpler drawer above:

It isn't perfect, and it's for painting, but a week ago he'd never picked up a hand-tool. There is a lovely wrong-side-of-the-line classic above the top shelf:

He rushed on with more enthusiasm than thought, as we've all done, and what he calls his "signature" will always remind him to slow down and take a second look before starting to cut. The design was his, based on one in his other bathroom, but sized to fit in his suitcase to take home. They'll pick knobs/ handles for the drawers back in Spain.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jan 2019, 13:35

Nice job!

What's the wood? The red streaks remind me of parana pine I used to sell in the 60s.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 04 Jan 2019, 13:39

It's probably exactly that, Malcolm. It's the reclaimed stair treads from my house (I took the 60s staircase out 3 or 4 years ago). So much nicer to work with than the modern fast-grown stuff, but still not easy with a chisel.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jan 2019, 13:41

Mike G wrote:It's probably exactly that, Malcolm. It's the reclaimed stair treads from my house (I took the 60s staircase out 3 or 4 years ago). So much nicer to work with than the modern fast-grown stuff, but still not easy with a chisel.

Nice. I use to like working with it.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Alasdair » 22 Jul 2020, 19:22

Mike G wrote:The full story is that his grandfather was a carpenter, and he (my SIL) has inherited all the tools. I've seen them, and they just need a good clean up and a bit of sharpening. So before there are any great woodworking projects, there will be a whole lot of tool restoration, setting and adjusting, and a few purchases (I don't have any woodies, so I can't show him how to get the best from those.........so he'll buy a Stanley/ Bailey whatever). He'll then build some shelves etc in his garage/ workshop to go with the bench he's just bought. Great to see someone so enthusiastic.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods Mike I've got some wood planes you could take one back with you.
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 22 Jul 2020, 21:45

Where's your neck of the woods, Alasdair?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 22 Jul 2020, 22:32

I'm in a village called Howwood about 15 miles outside Glasgow
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Jul 2020, 07:34

Last time I was in that neck of the woods (ie Scotland) I was on a bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats.....and that was in 2010. You might have to hang on to those woodies for a while!! :) Many thanks for your kind offer, though.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 23 Jul 2020, 13:13

Thats a bit of cycle ride especially when you are in the Highlands (always the chance of being chased by a mad haggis). They are not going anywhere so am happy to hold onto them.
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery