It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:13

Clifton planes

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Clifton planes

Postby Paul Chapman » 06 Sep 2014, 16:40

I went to the Yandles woodworking show today. While there I had an interesting chat with Mike Hudson who, as usual, was demonstrating the Clifton range of planes.

He told me that Alan Reid, the boss of Clico who were the owners of Clifton, is retiring. There's some re-structuring going on within the Clico organisation and the Clifton plane manufacturing part of the business has been sold to Thomas Flinn & Co. Thomas Flinn & Co are based in Sheffield and manufacture the well-known Garlick, ET Roberts & Lee, and Pax range of saws.

Mike told me that the Clifton range of planes would continue to be made by the same people who have made them in the past and using the same plant and machinery, so they will continue to be manufactured to the high standard we have come to expect.

Mike will be employed by the Clico organisation but would be retained by Thomas Flinn & Co in an advisory capacity. I think we can expect to see him at future woodworking shows doing what he does so well.

As a long-time user of Clifton planes, I wish Thomas Flinn & Co every success in their new venture. Who knows, we might even see the Clifton block plane in due course........ :lol:

There's a bit more about all this on the Thomas Flinn & Co Facebook page.

Cheers ;)

Paul
Paul Chapman
Seedling

Name:

Re: Clifton planes

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Sep 2014, 19:06

I went yesterday. Not a bad show and the usual turn out of stands…had a natter with Philly at CHT and Mike Huntley in the Japanese Woodworking room, bought some Euro oak for drawer sides, but as usual, there's an awful lot of utter cr@p in the woodshed - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Peter Sefton » 06 Sep 2014, 22:00

Thanks for the update Paul, I found out that Thomas Flinn had taken over the Clifton brand when I was waiting a couple of weeks for some Clifton Stock and then a box from Flinn's turned up!
I think this is great news for Clifton, Sheffield and Flinn's and even better that Mick will still be involved.
A great guy and so passionate about the tools, very pleased Alan passed on the range to a tool making family and that he can now retire, Alan was a true gent to deal with!
Cheers Peter
Peter Sefton

Practice makes perfect - but a good tip from one who knows saves timber, time and tools

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk
Peter Sefton
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Philly » 22 Sep 2014, 17:24

I hope this is good news - I gather funding for new items was not forthcoming from the last owners so I wish Clifton the very best for the future! We British planemakers need to stand together... ;)
Cheers
Philly :D
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Peter Sefton » 23 Sep 2014, 20:49

Philly wrote:I hope this is good news - I gather funding for new items was not forthcoming from the last owners so I wish Clifton the very best for the future! We British planemakers need to stand together... ;)
Cheers
Philly :D

The new investment has started Philly, you will see the results over the next few months. I think they will thrive!
Peter Sefton

Practice makes perfect - but a good tip from one who knows saves timber, time and tools

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk
Peter Sefton
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery