It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:07

David Barron and dovetails

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

David Barron and dovetails

Postby Fingal » 26 Aug 2019, 12:09

I just came across David Barron on YouTube. Looks interesting and I wonder if his dovetail guide is any use to me. Or would this be cheating?

Has anyone any experience they could share?

Thanks

Fred Fingal :D
Don't hide your light under a bushel; you never know whom you might be inspiring.
Fingal
Seedling

Name: Alfred

Re: David Barron and dovetails

Postby Andyp » 26 Aug 2019, 16:06

Fred, I have Veritas equivalent of that jig and say why not use it.

All the DTs in these cabinet drawers, front and back, were made with one of those jigs.

If it gets you the results you want and you are happy with then why not use it... you dont have to tell anyone :eusa-shhh:

In my limited experience of cutting DTs by hand the most important factors, in no particular order, in achieving accurate joints are.
Precisely prepared stock, length width and height.
Accurate marking
Remembering which side of the line to cut :oops:
Patience

Give it a go with or without a jig it is very satisying.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2019, 16:12

I’ve seen David at a number of shows and he’s a very nice man.

There’s nothing wrong in using that aid no more than using a Leigh jig.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Aug 2019, 17:54

No dovetail guides are necessary, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use one if you want. In fact, if having a guide is enough to give people the confidence to cut dovetails in the first place, then they're a good thing. Once you've cut enough dovetails, you'll realise that the guide isn't necessary.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Fingal » 01 Sep 2019, 12:27

Thanks for that fellow members;

I think I will give it a go. I need some stout book ends, and I've found a nice piece of English figured oak that should do.

Here I go!

Fred Fingal :D
Don't hide your light under a bushel; you never know whom you might be inspiring.
Fingal
Seedling

Name: Alfred

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Sep 2019, 18:06

Mike G wrote:No dovetail guides are necessary, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use one if you want. In fact, if having a guide is enough to give people the confidence to cut dovetails in the first place, then they're a good thing. Once you've cut enough dovetails, you'll realise that the guide isn't necessary.

Mike's right, you don't actually need a jig, but there's no harm done if you want to use one. Provided they're set out correctly and the tools are used properly, it's not too difficult achieve a respectable joint, but never, ever cut them at the end of a long day in the 'shop.

I spoke to him at Yandles a couple of times when he mentioned that he was pretty bored at the end of two days of sitting as his bench cutting dovetails - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery