It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:02

Marking Gauges

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Marking Gauges

Postby Woodster » 23 Nov 2020, 19:51

These are neat. Not something I’d use that often I don’t think but as I can make all the parts and already have the cutters it’s been added onto my to do list.

https://youtu.be/yek2kCJKShs
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Marking Gauges

Postby Mike G » 23 Nov 2020, 20:33

I use gauges almost every time I'm in the workshop. I'd be entirely lost without them, and sometimes have 3 or 4 on the go. However, those with the wheel cutter just don't work for me. I've got a lovely one, all brass and shiny, but it sits in my tool cabinet untouched.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Nov 2020, 23:46

I use Japanese marking gauges which are just about fool proof. Easy enough to make as well; I usually have four on the go at any one time. I also have just one wheel gauge which is useful for getting into spots where other gauges won't reach - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 24 Nov 2020, 14:41

I have several types of marking gauges and my favourite to use are the ones that Pet maddox made as my SS a few years ago on UKW
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Cabinetman » 25 Nov 2020, 13:07

Still using my original ones – all the time. Never had a wheel gauge, I can’t imagine how you make it stop where you need it to. Obviously with a spike you make a hole and then pull back until you fall into it, as it were.
The only thing I would do different is to have a dedicated pencil gauge instead of a hole at the other end of my marking gauge, sometimes you need both.
Pencils aren’t all the same size, I have a little mouse tail of leather glued on which drops into the hole and tightens the pencil up nicely. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 25 Nov 2020, 14:25

Got a photo of that pencil gauge, Ian?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Nov 2020, 16:01

The best pencil gauge I saw was made by Derek Jones, once ed of F&C. It's just the same as a marking gauge, but you need a round, not hex pencil. Drill the hole in the stem dia 6mm and then pass through a 6mm metalwork tap, so that it cuts a very fine thread in the wood. The pencil will then thread it's way into the stem to the required depth and requires nothing else to hold it in place. Works a treat! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Nov 2020, 17:08

I made a rough pencil gouge two or three months ago when I needed one quickly, and it has two wedges. The one holding the pencil isn't a great solution, so I'll bear that idea in mind, Rob, when I come to make the proper version in due course.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Nov 2020, 10:40

Hi Mike, my hand tools are at my sons where I am doing some work at the moment, will take a picture of it later, it’s nothing special just a little strip of leather 2 or 3 mm wide glued into a little hole next to the pencil hole and it drops into the big hole and just gives enough squeeze and friction to hold the pencil. Ian
I like that idea Rob of threading the hole, I suppose it would even work with hexagonal pencils.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby ScaredyCat » 26 Nov 2020, 13:01

Saw this thread when browsing before approval. I have one of the shiny metal round marking gauges but I find that the small surface area doesn't work well for me so I think I might cannibalise it into sone of these patterns. Would be interested in seeing images of the pencil ones because I can't quite grasp what they look like.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Nov 2020, 13:27

Hi Andy, imagine replacing the pin on your marking gauge with a pencil, all pretty basic really ha ha
I simply drilled a hole at the other end of my marking gauge to take a pencil. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby ScaredyCat » 26 Nov 2020, 13:30

:D I feel so dumb.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Return to Hand Toolery