It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:53

experimental plane

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

experimental plane

Postby bridger » 19 Dec 2014, 05:20

I'm modifying a broken block plane to be a low angle bevel down with chipbreaker one handed mini smoother. The build notes and pictures are at https://bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
bridger
Seedling

Name:

Re: experimental plane

Postby DaveL » 19 Dec 2014, 11:51

Looking at that chip breaker, I hope you have reshaped the front edge. If you leave it with the square edge, the shavings will not flow over it smoothly. I think it should have a bevel to offer a smooth path to the shaving, encouraging it to curl which helps the cutting process.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby bridger » 19 Dec 2014, 16:21

The front of the chipbreaker was reshaped, both on top and underneath. I'll get a picture of that up. Thanks
bridger
Seedling

Name:

Postby bridger » 23 Dec 2014, 04:45

I've uploaded a few new pictures and notes tonight.
bridger
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 23 Dec 2014, 10:40

Many people, me included, don't click off site links. You'd get more response if you post the content in this thread.

In the past back on woodhaven1 we had complaints over threads like this where there is nothing to see here on the forum and having been thus reminded the rules here will be updated soon to stop threads that are started and have nothing more than a link to the thread starters site.

This could be an interesting thread but without text and pictures here on the forum it is just a link.

You've done nothing wrong but you have reminded us that we prefer to read here on the forum rather than off site.

Next time you post something you'd like to share on your own site maybe post the content here in a thread too.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby bridger » 31 Dec 2014, 06:01

I'm posting from my phone. It has limited options for tricks like posting to more than one place at a time, and I do seek input from multiple sources, and fora. I can understand wanting to keep the thread "in house" as it were. As I'm not readily able to post mixed content to multiple discussion fora I have chosen the path of least resistance and resorted to a wordpress blog and posts with pointer links. I do respond to comments made here, here. If I get the same questions or comments from multiple sources I'll also respond on the blog. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do under the circumstances. I apologize if it looked like spam from the perspectives of this forum's rules. Feel free to delete this thread if necessary and I won't repeat it. I will continue to participate here at a level more in keeping with the local flavor and rules.

Thanks
Bridger
bridger
Seedling

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery