It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:58

Inspiration

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Inspiration

Postby Froggy » 22 Jul 2014, 16:56

Hi Everyone,
On re-joining the Woodhaven 2 I went straight for the 'Hand Toolery' as I've recently been inspired to make a bigger effort to work with hand tools rather than machines. The inspiration came from watching videos of Matthew Wolfe http://www.doucetteandwolfefurniture.co ... jects.html
I love his work and the way he works. I found him when looking for some inspiration for a chest of drawers and ended up spending hours watching all his videos (I was ill at the time so it gave me the time :D ). I ended up making a poor man's version of his cherry drawers:
I have a long way to go to reach Matthews high standards, but I am trying (very trying some would say :roll: ).
Looking forward to the hand tool threads, Froggy.
Froggy
Seedling

Name:

Re: Inspiration

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jul 2014, 19:29

Nice job. Was there a reason to include the middle leg section on the plinth? - Rob, aka 'woodbloke'
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 22 Jul 2014, 20:39

Lovely work, but like Rob, I think it would look better without the third leg?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Froggy » 22 Jul 2014, 20:52

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. To be honest the plinth was my biggest headache in design terms (partly because it was the only thing I designed, I copied the rest :roll: - there's a moral there somewhere). Originally I planned something 'fancier' but nothing looked right so I went for simple. Should have gone for even simpler and left out the middle leg.
What do you guys think of Matthew Wolfe's work?
Froggy
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jul 2014, 21:40

Froggy wrote:Hi guys, thanks for your comments. To be honest the plinth was my biggest headache in design terms (partly because it was the only thing I designed, I copied the rest :roll: - there's a moral there somewhere). Originally I planned something 'fancier' but nothing looked right so I went for simple. Should have gone for even simpler and left out the middle leg.
What do you guys think of Matthew Wolfe's work?

Personally, I think the centre leg should have been left out, as it looks a bit 'odd' to me. I follow D&W's work on FB and their stuff is universally well built, but not to my taste in terms of design - Rob, aka 'woodbloke'
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2014, 10:02

Hi Froggy , great piece except for that third leg I'am afraid. Unique. Do you have any wip photos as I expect it would make a good read.

Nice to have another francophile amongst us
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Froggy » 23 Jul 2014, 12:48

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your comments. Seems fairly unanimous about the '3rd leg' :( Unfortunately I only have one other photo of these drawers:
I was a bit pushed for time on this one.

Cheers Froggy.
Froggy
Seedling

Name:

Postby Graham Haydon » 25 Jul 2014, 23:26

Tidy. I like very much D&W's work, right up my street.
Hello, would you like to be bored? Yes I hear you say, then visit the blog http://gshaydon.co.uk/blog
Graham Haydon
Seedling

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery