It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:17

Current hand tool build

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Current hand tool build

Postby derekcohen » 22 Jul 2014, 17:10

I appear to have the dubious honour of the first hand tool post on the forum. Thanks for inviting me along, Rob.

I started building a copy of Hans Wegner's "The Chair" in January, worked for all of that month, and then my day job and life got in the way and I was not able to return to it until a few weeks ago.

Hans Wegner (April 2, 1914 - January 26, 2007) was probably the quintessential Danish furniture designer and most famous for his chairs. Their styling was modernist and minimalist, yet with all the joinery of traditional furniture making.

“The Chair” as it is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful designs of its genre. It owes some of it fame as the Debate Chair, used when Kennedy and Nixon went head-to-head on TV for the US presidency in 1960 …

The original version was designed in 1949. The following is the review by Interiors Magazine in 1950:

There are two versions, the original above with a woven seat and back, and a later version with a solid seat and open back (that displays the tapered finger joint that became a feature of this chair) ...

My plan was to build a composite: woven seat and open back. The Danish factory has built this is a variety of woods, with oak a favourite. I planned to use our local woods, and was offered some Fiddleback Jarrah, which I thought would be tricky to work, but produce a stunning creation.

The factory built these chairs largely with copy lathes. I planned to build it with hand tools, keeping it exactly the same as the factory, including the finger joints at the arm/back intersection, and the intersecting mortice and tenon joints in the leg/rail connections.

I was fortunate to pick up a bargain on eBay of an original chair, and this allowed for measurements to guide me through the process. There are no plans anywhere since the chairs are still made under licence in Denmark. I could not have done this from photos since every piece is a compound curve.

Now I shall not bore you further. The entire build in on my website. Just scan down to the bottom of this index page: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

The seat is still to be woven - this weekend - and the pictures below show the work done this past weekend.

And a comparison with the original:

I'll post the completed chair once done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Current hand tool build

Postby Robert » 22 Jul 2014, 17:32

I've not time now to look at more but I glanced through the shaping the arm section and all I can say is wow!

I can see why you needed those big timber sections in the back of your car picture!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jul 2014, 19:23

Welcome Derek and great to see you here. Unless it's me, I can't see the pics which ought to be there? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby riclepp » 22 Jul 2014, 20:11

Hi Derek

I was watching the chair build as you posted then, a fantastic piece of craftmanship....looking forward to seeing the final finished peice. Again, as so many people have said, thanks for sharing it with us.
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Postby Rod » 22 Jul 2014, 20:31

Tremendous work but I wouldn't want to make a set? :)

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 22 Jul 2014, 20:33

Hi Derek,

I think we may of over loaded your site, I could see the pictures at lunch time, just came back to look at the build and the pictures are not showing and the link to the build times out.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby derekcohen » 23 Jul 2014, 12:19

Rod wrote:Tremendous work but I wouldn't want to make a set? :)

Rod

Rod, they are a set .... a set of one! :D

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2014, 12:59

:)

For years I've always fancied making a Sam Maloof Rocker - my excuse is that I've nowhere to put one?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2014, 13:31

Can see the pics now Derek…absolutely stunning! For me, of the two original versions, the cane seat will always be a winner - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2014, 13:41

Rob, cane seat yes but not the cane back as it hides the wood and the workmanship.

Very nice chair Derek, thanks for sharing
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2014, 14:05

Andyp wrote:Rob, cane seat yes but not the cane back as it hides the wood and the workmanship.

Very nice chair Derek, thanks for sharing

I think we'll have to agree to differ there Andy. I like the cane work on the back of the seat as well as it gives the whole chair 'balance' and I think I've seen an image somewhere where the original finger jointing on the seat back rail was much finer. I don't especially like the coarse jointing as shown in the solid seat version so if it's covered up with canework it's a double plus for me - Rob, aka 'woodbloke'
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 23 Jul 2014, 21:27

Lovely work - my vote is for the solid seat and wood back.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Graham Haydon » 26 Jul 2014, 10:31

Very nice Derek and adding the bit of history at the start really helps frame the context. I'm happy to have the joinery covered up. It avoids my eye being distracted away from the overal shape of the piece. Each to their own dude and top marks!
Hello, would you like to be bored? Yes I hear you say, then visit the blog http://gshaydon.co.uk/blog
Graham Haydon
Seedling

Name:

The Chair is finished

Postby derekcohen » 27 Jul 2014, 14:59

The seat has been woven and now the chair is complete.

For those interested in the weaving process, details are included in the final chapter: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ ... Chair.html

For now, I present the final pictures ..

A comparison with the original chair … I think the weaving creates a lighter feeling. What do you think?

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Jul 2014, 15:03

Fantastic - superb work. I prefer the new seat.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Aug 2014, 22:22

The cane seat version is always, for me at least, going to look better. Fabulous project Derek - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Aug 2014, 07:01

Woodbloke wrote:The cane seat version is always, for me at least, going to look better. Fabulous project Derek - Rob

I agree
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Hand Toolery